Father’s Day Omelette

Despite my repeated chiding to my kids that “he’s not my father”, I ended up preparing breakfast for my husband today with just some minimal sous chef assistance from his offspring. Kind of my fault — I suggested omelettes instead of the usual pancakes or waffles, which the kids could have cooked all by themselves. Oh well – the omelette turned out so yummy that hubby wanted another mini version of the original, which we photographed so I could write about it.

Layers of yummy ingredients

The trick, I think, was my secret ingredient. I had some chopped pancetta that I bought packaged at Trader Joe’s. So I sauteed that up until it was crispy and brown, rather than typical slab bacon or even sausage. Then I sauteed up a sweet maui onion in the reserved pancetta fat (Emeril would be proud). From there I sauteed up some baby spinach with a little olive oil and salt and pepper, being careful to drain any moisture at the end so the spinach didn’t make the omelette watery. And last, I had my daughter cut some grape tomatoes in half and I sauteed them briefly with a little salt and pepper just to soften them a bit.

For the eggs, I added a little milk and salt and pepper. I used a 10 inch non-stick pan on medium, pouring about 1/2 of the 9 eggs into it. I let it cook for about a minute and then started pushing the sides in to let the uncooked egg float to the outside. When the top had just a little bit of moisture left I started layering in the filling – first the pancetta, then spinach, tomatoes, and avocado and finally some shredded cheddar cheese. Then I folded each side in, cut it in half and we served it with toast and fresh cantaloupe and raspberries.

Verdict from the guy that’s not my father? Best omelette he’s ever had and he’s actually the expert omelette maker in our house. So I made him another mini-version which you can see pictured here. This one came out real crispy on the outside, more than the original. But he loved it this way.

The second helping for Dad

So next time you get the urge for an omelette – good for breakfast, lunch, or dinner – change up one of the ingredients a little and see what happens. You might end up with something that’s OMG! Yummy.

Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there!

16 Responses to Father’s Day Omelette

1. Jaime-Ann June 20, 2010 at 8:44 pm #

This sounds so yummy – I almost wouldn’t want to share…. hehehe!

2. Kaleigh June 20, 2010 at 10:44 pm #

This sounds so yummy…I will definitely add it to my breakfast menu! I love the spinach and pancetta combo.

3. Kate June 21, 2010 at 5:55 am #

Oh wow! This looks awesome! I fed my husband–CHEERIOS! hahaha

And your comment over at my place was hilarious!!!
    And it is so true!

Thanks for stopping by Mommy Monolgues!

4. Irene Saiger June 21, 2010 at 9:31 am #

Very sweet!

Irene

5. Cindy June 21, 2010 at 9:49 am #

It does look OMG Yummy! Fred is also our resident omelette maker. It’s a great suggestion to jazz it up with savory ingredient combinations. For a Japanese version try using umeboshi and nori.

• omgyummy June 22, 2010 at 8:07 am #

That’s a really interesting suggestion Cindy! For my readers that don’t know – umeboshi is a dried pickled plum that you can find in Japanese food stores. It is supposed to be really healthy for you because of it’s high alkalinity and is said to be useful to cure a hangover. Nori is dried seaweed and can also be found in Japanese food stores and often in the Asian section of your regular grocery store.

6. small burst June 22, 2010 at 9:32 pm #

i lovw omelettes. i can have them for dinner too. BTW, thanks for stopping by on my SITS day and making me feel special! Oh and thanks for the Kalbe recipe tips!

7. Lamb June 23, 2010 at 8:09 pm #

OMG, that does look yummy! Isn’t Trader Joes wonderful? I just had dinner…but since that is healthy, it really wouldn’t be that bad to go make this right now, right?

My post for Mom Sexy Prom 2010 is up! Come to the prom with me: http://lambaround.blogspot.com

8. Mariah June 24, 2010 at 7:05 am #

Well I know what I want for breakfast now! That looks awesome and with the pancetta?? Heaven. I am so glad you were in front of me at SITS today!!

9. Simply Life June 25, 2010 at 4:43 am #

YuM! That looks great!

10. Heather June 25, 2010 at 9:36 am #

Hello yummy! That looks fantastic! Thank you for sharing! Stopping by from SITS!

11. Libby June 25, 2010 at 6:57 pm #

Wow that looks good. Your blog is so lovely and easy to ready. Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog.

12. Diva June 26, 2010 at 11:45 am #

Visiting from SITS. That omelette looks amazing!!!!

13. Mama Lisha June 26, 2010 at 11:58 am #

Visiting from SITS. We love omlettes for dinner also… does look yummy!

14. Jessica @ One Shiny Star June 26, 2010 at 9:04 pm #

I’m jealous! We don’t even have a trader joe’s!

15. Rachel C August 6, 2010 at 7:07 am #

Stopping by from SITS and almost sorry I did (I mean that in a nice way!) Five minutes after waking up this morning I went straight to work, no breakfast yet and that omlette looks AMAZING!