Whole Foods Opens in South San Jose!

Street signs announcing the grand opening

In certain parts of San Jose, especially near where I live, there is a dearth of great restaurants and healthy, gourmet grocery stores. So when a Whole Foods store opens up, it’s big news in this town, especially to me. Though it is 15 minutes from my house, it is on my way home from so many places I take my kids that I know I will find myself here several times a week.

I attended the grand opening this morning and am thrilled to say that it is absolutely packed with people already and the store seems ready for the crowd. I am sitting in their eating area making use of their free wifi to write and post this story. Later today, I will be back with my daughter who is almost as excited as me for this store to open. She said the front facade reminded her of the huge false fronts of the luxury resorts we passed in Mexico. But mostly, she’s excited about the food, which warms my heart.

Bread Breaking instead of Ribbon Cutting -- nice

Bread shaped in the name of the neighborhood where it is located

Here are some quick fun facts about this Whole  Foods store. They are powered by a UTC fuel cell, which will cut back tremendously on the carbon footprint of the store – said to be equivalent to planting 85 acres of trees. They have already hired 300 employees right from the local community. And the 5 cent rebate for using recycled bags can be donated to a local elementary school’s GATE (Gifted and Talented Education) program. Kudos to Whole Foods for trying to be a real community grocery store despite their roots as a large national chain.

And a fun food fact – they have a Shawarma station in the fresh food area – can’t wait to try that!

A Shawarma station right next to the fresh made pizza station!

The community and I couldn’t be more excited. Welcome! Welcome! Welcome!

, , , ,

9 Responses to Whole Foods Opens in South San Jose!

1. Cheryl November 10, 2010 at 12:34 pm #

I cannot beLIEVE they are already open! I drive by there all the time and it never occurred to me that the store was almost ready for business. I’ll definitely be checking it out.

Thanks, B!

• omgyummy November 12, 2010 at 11:13 am #

You’re welcome Cheryl. It’s a great place for us to meet up. We can eat, work, explore food all in one place! Hope to see you there soon!

2. Diane November 10, 2010 at 1:39 pm #

You are on top of things! Been seeing the sign for months, glad to hear they are open…enjoyed the stores in Campbell, Cupertino and San Francisco.

3. Carol (CGtheFoodie) November 14, 2010 at 9:13 pm #

I have been there twice this week even though I live closer to Cupertino and Campbell. So much fun to explore a new grocery store! Jealous you made it to the grand opening :o)

4. Mrs.Mayhem November 17, 2010 at 1:04 pm #

I love, love, love Whole Foods. Unfortunately the closest one is 40 minutes from my house (via a toll rd) and I feel so guilty wasting that much gas. It is a rare treat to shop at one. But you, lucky girl, have one nearby! I’m so jealous.

• omgyummy November 23, 2010 at 9:53 am #

Treat yourself every once in a while – you’re worth it :-)

5. Sunflowerdiva November 22, 2010 at 2:15 pm #

I love Whole Foods! There’s a tiny one about four long blocks from my place in one direction, and another huge one nine blocks in the other direction. Sadly, the tiny one is so tiny they don’t offer a huge variety of everything, and the huge one is up and over a hill, so lugging home groceries is torture. But that’s great that a Whole Foods opened near you! :)

• omgyummy November 23, 2010 at 9:53 am #

Two within walking distance – oh my gosh – jealous even with the lugging. But I’m really enjoying having the store 15 minutes away by car. Going there later to pick up the turkey and few more last minute necessities. It’s always an adventure.

1. Break out the Bubbly! – New Leaf Community Market set to open in Evergreen Feb 1 « OMG! Yummy - January 28, 2012

[...] and a half. You probably remember me whining about this missing resource in my previous posts: Whole Foods Almaden and the announcement of New Leaf [...]