Blueberry Pie to Warm up your Winter

Did you all have a mouth-watering and yummy holiday season? Did you ring in the new year with some memorable food and drink? My family did and one of the many highlights was blueberry pie. That’s right! We decided to make a summertime pie on Christmas Day. It was a touch of sunshine on an otherwise gray and rainy day. And I made it with the dough you saw in my Pie Dough for Dummies post late in December. And all the while I didn’t even know that nearly every list of  2011 Food Trends says that sweet and savory pies will be all the rage in 2011. A January 2nd NPR article went so far as to title their list “Cupcakes Are Dead. Long Live the Pie!” Can it be true???

A scintillating slice of blueberry pie waiting for an eager fork...

A Yummy Warning: I’m about to sabotage your New Year’s weight loss resolve by talking about and sharing pictures of my very trendy blueberry pie. Stay strong.

Since I promised to fight the demons of dough to the bittersweet end, here’s the next stage of my personal Doughaphobia Recovery Process – preparing a real pie and sharing the results with my friends and family. In the last post, I walked you through the dough-making process up to the point the dough is refrigerated. Here’s a look at how to turn that dough into a crisp and flaky crust that surrounds a brilliantly blue berry filling that contrasts beautifully with your well-formed crusty exterior (I’m speaking of the pie here people).

Here’s how I tackled the task:

About 45 minutes before I wanted to roll out the dough, I took it out of the refrigerator (our house is cold; if yours isn’t, then 30 minutes should be fine). While it was softening, I prepared the blueberry filling.

I used the filling recipe from Simply Recipes, a wonderful blog by Elise Bauer. Since it is not blueberry season and the blueberries in the store are expensive, I bought 3 cups fresh and 3 cups frozen. The frozen berries were lovely-looking. To be sure the taste was right, we defrosted one and tried it side-by-side with the fresh. The frozen berries were actually sweeter than the fresh and much less expensive. At $1.99 a bag at Whole Foods, you can prepare a delicious blueberry pie in the dead of winter for about $5 including the cost of the dough ingredients. When using frozen, just be sure to let them defrost and drain completely so the filling isn’t runny.

After the dough softened up, I cut it in half and formed each half into a flattened disk-shaped piece about 5 or 6 inches in diameter. Using my floured marble rolling pin on a well-floured granite counter, I rolled the first piece out carefully, using my bench scraper to move it around and being careful to roll in all directions to maintain some resemblance to a circle. After reaching about 13 inches in diameter, I brushed the excess flour off the top and folded it in quarters, brushing off excess flour along the way.

Pie dough rolled out to 13" diameter

Brushing excess flour from dough

Pie dough folded in quarters to move to pie dish

I placed the dough in the 9.5 inch shallow glass pie dish, making sure it hugged the bottom and sides, then added the filling, dotted it with butter, and proceeded to roll out the top crust just as I had done the first.

Pie dough placed in glass dish

Blueberry pie dotted with butter

Once it was rolled out and placed on the pie, I somewhat clumsily, but effectively crimped and sealed the edges. Along the way, I ended up with a little extra dough which my daughter handily used to decorate the top of the pie. I then brushed it with egg wash, cut slits for vents and happily placed it in the oven to bake. It was ready when I could see the filling starting to poke its way out of the vents in a thick, bubbly manner.

Second crust with my daughter's decorations!

Pie crust with egg wash applied, ready to go in oven

Important serving note: Be sure to let the pie cool completely before slicing so the filling stays in tact when you slice it. If you like your pie warm, I recommend reheating each individual slice briefly in the microwave, rather than heating the whole pie.

Baked, cooled, and ready to eat!

My family agreed the pie looked pretty darn good for my first ever double crust pie. What’s even better is that it tasted yummy too! The blueberries were still plumply in tact and each bite held a surprise burst of blueberry juice that was slightly sweetened but not overtly so. And the leftovers the next morning were even better than the first day.

It was a great way to end the year – eating luscious blueberry pie with my family, basking in the knowledge that I had faced my fear of dough and unknowingly jumped on one of the hottest food trends of 2011. To my fellow doughaphobes – write to me when you’ve made your own dough and pie. It’s step #4 in the recovery process – share with your friends. If there is any other “food fear” you want to tackle and need some encouragement or ideas, leave a comment below and I’ll be glad to help you get started on the road to anxiety-free cooking and baking.

Thanks for joining me on my blog journey in 2010 and I’m excited to share more yummy food, trends, and stories in 2011.

, , , , , , , , , ,

27 Responses to Blueberry Pie to Warm up your Winter

1. Sarene January 5, 2011 at 12:45 pm #

Looks gorgeous, Beth! You went from doughphobic to doughdiva. Awesome.

• omgyummy January 5, 2011 at 12:50 pm #

Thanks Sarene! Coming from one of the most creative and talented cooks I know, I take that as a huge complement!

2. Jun Belen January 5, 2011 at 1:02 pm #

You just described what I love most about blueberry pies… plumpy and the surprise burst of blueberry juice! Love this with vanilla ice cream! Yum! Happy New Year!!

• omgyummy January 5, 2011 at 4:22 pm #

Happy New Year to you too Jun! How did your pie come out? I’ve been anxious to hear how it went from a fellow doughaphobe. I just found a 2-year old Bon Appetit while cleaning out my office with an article by Dorie Greenspan where she admits that she was afraid of dough also – used the term “crustaphobic”. She said she made a 3-layer wedding cake before she ever attempted to make a pie crust of any type. Who would have thought the baking goddess had dough anxiety? I think it makes me feel better :-)

3. Diane January 5, 2011 at 1:33 pm #

the recipe does look wonderful.. I have been a pie baker since we were first married – over 42 years now!!!!! My favorite dessert of all times. Thanks, I guess, for sharing. Your blogs are wonderful and I love the pictures. They are excellent!

• omgyummy January 5, 2011 at 4:25 pm #

Sorry about interrupting your calorie-reducing new year with a delicious-looking pie :-). Stay strong and remember, most diets let you cheat once a week. You can cheat with pie.

42 years of marriage and pie-making? Not sure which is more of an accomplishment!!! Keep up the good work Diane.

Glad you are enjoying the blog. That makes me happy!

4. sandy corman January 5, 2011 at 2:01 pm #

wish I had the desire to bake and cook the way you do. The pie looks absolutely scrumptious. Keep up the good work..

5. rsmacaalay January 6, 2011 at 1:06 am #

Another great recipe! That slice is really tempting, I just recently made blueberry cheesecake as seen here http://angsarap.wordpress.com/2010/12/25/blue-berry-cheesecake/ and this looks like my next project :)
    I have to hurry while blueberries are on season here in New Zealand

6. Lindsay January 8, 2011 at 12:08 pm #

Looks delicious! Thanks for sharing and inspiring me to make fruit pie in the middle of winter!

• omgyummy January 14, 2011 at 11:45 am #

You’re welcome. Anything to fool ourselves into being warm! Just saw your kahlua creme brulee post. That’s inspiring too. My son’s favorite and it’s his birthday today. Hmmm….

7. Laura January 8, 2011 at 12:43 pm #

Shame on you for making me hungry! (just kidding) Blueberry anything is my favorite, including pie, but I have never attempted to make a pie. Maybe I will try your dough for dummies recipe.

Stopping by from SITS! Thanks for the visit!

• omgyummy January 14, 2011 at 11:47 am #

If I made you hungry and inspire you to something you’ve never done before in the kitchen, then I’ve done my job! Thanks for the return visit.

8. Tanvi January 8, 2011 at 3:12 pm #

I was just seeing your post on how to make perfect pie dough at home.The biggest problem I face is not in making the dough but rolling it to a perfect thickness so that it doesnt sink or rise too much in the oven.Do you have any tips on that?
    I am ashamed to say that even though I m Indian and make flatbreads all the time :)This blueberry pie looks scrumptious!

• omgyummy January 8, 2011 at 4:24 pm #

My rolling skills are not outstanding but each effort yields better results. You should have a dough scraper tool handy to help you turn the dough a quarter turn after each roll. Also, this cooks illustrated how-to (http://www.cooksillustrated.com/images/document/howto/ND00_ISpiedough101.pdf) says to turn the dough over once it reaches about 8 or 9 inches and roll it the rest of the way on the flip side. I’ve never done this, but it makes some sense to me. I plan to get some hands on help from an expert in the next few months and will share any further tips once I do.

Good luck. By the way, I hope to make some Indian flatbread sometime soon. Too yummy not to learn.

9. Stephanie Weaver January 8, 2011 at 9:38 pm #

Hi and thanks for visiting my blog. So sorry we missed you in Cancun. Blueberry pie is my absolute FAVE!!! This looks delicious. I have instructions for gluten-free pie crust on my blog if anyone needs it. :)

• omgyummy January 14, 2011 at 11:43 am #

I’m sorry I missed you guys in Cancun too :-) but it’s so fun for me to follow all the tweets and blog posts, especially all the photos. Brings back good memories from our vacation at the Grand Velas this past summer. So glad the whole group found the place as fabulous as we did. And thanks to all of you for sharing so much of what you learned.

10. Renee January 10, 2011 at 10:53 am #

I was lucky enough to sample a generous slice of this BEAUTIFUL pie. The crust was perfect; still firm on the second day. And, the filling was delicious; not overly sweet like some fruit fillings often are.
    Thank you for sharing with me, Beth!!

• omgyummy January 14, 2011 at 11:41 am #

Coming from you Renee, who is so much more of an accomplished baker than I, I am truly proud. I will bake and share with you anytime!

11. Melissa January 13, 2011 at 5:37 pm #

Funny my husband was just saying (after making an apple pie) what else can we put in a pie, blueberries? It looked delish I will have to try it with my other crust, and with an egg wash as I have never done that before!

• omgyummy January 14, 2011 at 11:39 am #

I hope you do give it a try. It’s fun to fool our minds into thinking warm by eating summer food in the winter. The other night I put dried strawberries on a spinach salad. It looked so colorful that it almost made me feel warm, despite the real temperature in my house. Have fun with the fillings – so many great options for pie and it makes such a great breakfast too :-)

12. Anneliesz January 14, 2011 at 4:06 pm #

the little bear on your pie crust is darling!

13. lisa January 14, 2011 at 9:35 pm #

I am visiting from MC. This looks so good. I have been on a HUGE blueberry kick lately. Thank you for the yummy looking picture. I am going to have sweet dreams tonight!

• omgyummy January 19, 2011 at 8:25 pm #

Thanks for popping by from MommieCooks.com! I just love blueberries and have been lucky to be able to find great fresh and frozen ones at this time of year. Love them in pies, yogurt, pancakes, muffins, plain – any way I can get them. What is your favorite way to eat them?

1. Ring in the Berry Season! « OMG! Yummy - May 12, 2011

[...] to the end of the school year, May also brings us berries. Vibrant red strawberries, plump pie-ready blueberries, and blackberries bursting with gushy goodness. And oh the double dates we can conjure [...]

2. My Feature Day on SITSGirls.com! « OMG! Yummy - March 1, 2012

[...] Blueberry Pie to Warm up Your Winter [...]

3. Embracing Summer’s Bounty with Fresh Fruit Crisps « OMG! Yummy - June 20, 2012

[...] But if you are inspired by all these #PieDay posts, check out my Pie Dough for Dummies and my Blueberry Pie to Warm up your Winter posts and start baking! Then come back and tell me what you’ve created [...]

4. How Pie Dough Can Relieve Stress - OMG! Yummy - November 5, 2012