Beggar’s for Breakfast – French Fridays with Dorie the OMG! Yummy Way

For my second week cooking with this talented group of bloggers and cooks in the French Fridays with Dorie club, I have once again broken the post-on-Friday rule. After a long and emotionally draining week, we ended up calling out for pizza Friday night instead of cooking. So Plan B? Make this week’s recipe, Beggar’s Linguine, from Around My French Table, for lunch on Saturday. But when I got up early this morning and the sun was shining, I started prepping the ingredients, taking photos and before you know it, it just seemed right to cook the linguine for breakfast instead. And since I was adding some pancetta (Italian bacon) to it, it all made sense – bacon is a breakfast food right?

Beggar’s Linguine is a most unusual pasta dish that combines dried figs, raisins, almonds, pistachios, orange zest, fresh chives and parsley, parmesan cheese and butter to create a rich, comforting, nutty, and filling meal. If you’re squishing up your nose and thinking there’s no way I’m eating figs in my pasta, unwrinkle your nose, open your mind and give this pasta a try.

Don't you just love the color of these pistachios?

As I perused the list of timely posts on the French Fridays site yesterday, I found some doubters who tried it anyhow and loved it, a couple cooks who didn’t get it, and several who tried some variations that worked really well. From TastyTrix’s blog, I borrowed the idea to add some pancetta – knowing our family’s crazy love affair with pancetta and the rich, deep flavor it adds to so many dishes we cook. And from the SoupAddict’s blog, I was inspired to use up my dried cherries along with the raisins.

Normally, we are not supposed to include the actual recipe in our post, but since Dorie wrote about this dish in her blog and included the recipe, here’s a link to it so you can read her fascinating story behind the dish.

So what was the verdict from my “never quick with a compliment” judges (Dormant Chef, Tech Savvy Teen, Torah-chanting Tween) – they thought it warranted an OMG! Yummy and said I can make dinner for breakfast anytime I want. In fact, seems that this has just been one upside down week from beginning to end because I made breakfast for dinner the other day. But I digress, that will be another blog post sometime soon…

Don’t be afraid to experiment in the kitchen and try something outside of your comfort zone. A new combination of ingredients or just eating a dinner food at breakfast can open up all kinds of culinary possibilities or at least make your family happy. What’s the most unusual recipe or ingredient you’ve tried in the kitchen recently?

, , , , , , , , , ,

41 Responses to Beggar’s for Breakfast – French Fridays with Dorie the OMG! Yummy Way

1. Karen @ Time Crafted March 12, 2011 at 1:36 pm #

I love breakfast for dinner, so why not dinner for breakfast?! Looks like a sweet & salty dish to me and anything with pancetta and pistacios can’t be bad, in my book.

• omgyummy March 12, 2011 at 11:34 pm #

You got it – the sweet and salty and the added fragrance from the zest and fresh herbs – really terrific. And you’re right – think I’m going to try this dinner for bkfst more often, it works so well in the reverse, why did it take me so long to try this?

2. Jun Belen March 12, 2011 at 2:20 pm #

Now this is definitely something I have never tried before. Raisins, pistachios, dried figs, almonds in a pasta dish? This flavor combination all makes sense. I have to try this soon.

• omgyummy March 12, 2011 at 11:30 pm #

I’m sure you’ll do something wonderful with it. It’s definitely a recipe that you can get creative with. But I highly recommend the added pancetta. What a flavor burst in the mouth along with all the other wonderful yummies. Really took it over the top.

3. nana March 12, 2011 at 2:56 pm #

Your dish looks fantastic. I can imagine the flavors with the added pancetta.
    I have used pancetta in a few different dishes, and it is wonderful. Tricia
    and I had our doubts about the raisins and figs, but it all turned out well.
    Great job.

• omgyummy March 12, 2011 at 11:28 pm #

Glad you gave it a try and enjoyed it. I squirted a little extra juice from the orange on at the end, which cut through the butter a bit and seemed appropriate since we were eating it for breakfast. All were happy with this very tasty and unusual breakfast.

4. sandy corman March 12, 2011 at 4:41 pm #

sounds great. You are right I did squish up my nose at the figs but Dad wants me to try it anyway. I will soon. Mom

• omgyummy March 12, 2011 at 11:25 pm #

I have to admit, when I was chopping the figs, I had a fleeting thought that I was making fig newton pasta and it just didn’t make sense, but in the end, I don’t think the figs made that big a difference. If you really don’t like them, use extra of some other dried fruit. The dried cherries were great as would be dried cranberries or extra raisins. Let me know if you make it.

5. Lola's Kitchen March 12, 2011 at 5:35 pm #

Great idea to serve for breakfast. I bet it was great with pancetta added! I’m impressed that your family tried it!

• omgyummy March 12, 2011 at 11:23 pm #

The pancetta was really fantastic – highly recommend it. Loved your idea to add some red pepper flakes. I will definitely try that next time as well.

6. Trevor Sis Boom March 12, 2011 at 9:06 pm #

Well you can’t go wrong taking hints from Trix. I think of any pasta there is, THIS is the one you want to have for breakfast. Good thinking. (I had to go and turn it into dessert, alas.)

Welcome to the group!

• omgyummy March 12, 2011 at 11:20 pm #

Just read your post where you sub apples for the linguine and caramel sauce for the parmesan and wala – you have a baked apple dessert. Brilliant! I am really enjoying the creativity and camaraderie of this group!

7. Krissy March 12, 2011 at 9:39 pm #

I penciled in pancetta for this recipe…great idea. Someone else tried bacon and that sounded good too. We loved this dish and I will be cooking it again and trying a few new additions. Nice photos.

• omgyummy March 12, 2011 at 11:09 pm #

Thanks for the comment on the photos – I’m using a point and shoot Canon – trying to stretch it to its maximum ability and having some fun doing it. Definitely try the pancetta or bacon next time – I would have enjoyed the dish without but the bites with it in it, were really fantastic. I used the rendered pancetta fat in place of a bit of the butter as well.

8. Lisa Kramer March 13, 2011 at 9:08 am #

Oh that looks delicious, and you can cook me breakfast (dinner) anytime.

• omgyummy March 14, 2011 at 5:41 pm #

I would be happy to – my kitchen is almost always open.

9. Making It Work Mom March 13, 2011 at 9:50 am #

Visiting from SIT. That looks very yummy. And I love good food anytime of day!

• omgyummy March 14, 2011 at 5:47 pm #

That pretty much sums it up for me too!

10. Cher March 13, 2011 at 12:35 pm #

Love the pics. Hey, anything is fair game for breakfast if you add bacon or fruit! Glad you liked it.

• omgyummy March 14, 2011 at 8:53 pm #

Wow – visited your blog and see you made your own noodles for the dish – very impressive. Yup – bacon and fruit put it right on the breakfast train, don’t you think?

11. Ashlee March 13, 2011 at 1:04 pm #

Umm..Hello?! That looks fabulous and I am now drooling on my key board haha.

Thank you for stopping by my blog yesterday for my SITS day! I really appreciate it :)

• omgyummy March 14, 2011 at 8:55 pm #

Hope your keyboard is still working…It was fabulous, if I may say so myself and the pancetta really made it outstanding.

12. amanda @ fake ginger March 13, 2011 at 2:05 pm #

Yum! I bet the pancetta was perfect in this! Your photos look delicious!

• omgyummy March 14, 2011 at 9:04 pm #

Checked out your blog and loved your photos as well – especially the folded linen underneath. The pancetta was wonderful – the bites without it were great but with the pancetta – totally over-the-top fantastic.

13. Allison March 13, 2011 at 2:35 pm #

I really enjoyed your post. It’s so great that your family enjoyed it. And such a happy accident that you were able to miss the friday “deadline” and glean inspiration from other blogs! You rock!

• omgyummy March 17, 2011 at 10:23 am #

Yes – it was a happy accident – I really don’t plan to be late but figure if that’s what works out, might as well be enriched for it. And there is so much to learn from this group. Just love it. Loved your post too – that you made it for your dad and each enjoyed it but different aspects of it.

14. The Lucky Wife March 13, 2011 at 7:52 pm #

This looks so yummy! Would love for you to link it at our
    Make a Food-”e”-Friend Monday party. And also your MOST POPULAR recipe so far in our Star Recipes Collection.

Visiting you from SITS roll call!

• omgyummy March 17, 2011 at 10:28 am #

Thanks for visiting! Think I got a post up at the Stars Collection but don’t think I made it to Foode Friend Monday. Maybe next week. Thanks for asking.

15. rsmacaalay March 14, 2011 at 12:36 am #

That indeed is an unusual pasta but I do love the mixture of flavours on that plate.

• omgyummy March 17, 2011 at 10:34 am #

From your blog, you are obviously not afraid to try any ethnicity or food combination. Definitely give this a try. Interesting and lots of room for creativity.

16. Trix March 14, 2011 at 6:42 am #

Thanks for the shout out! You know, come to think of it, this pasta for breakfast actually makes sense, given the fruit and the sweetness!

• omgyummy March 17, 2011 at 10:35 am #

Yes, it really worked and we were satisfied almost all the way to dinner. And you are welcome. Loved your take on the dish.

17. Lana March 15, 2011 at 1:58 am #

Sometimes it’s beneficial to post a bit later – that way you can get the tips from other FFwD players:) I like the idea of adding dried cherries and bacon (anything cured and salty would balance the dish nicely).
    I have to live vicariously through everybody this week, as I skipped this recipe due to allergies. But one day soon I’ll make it for myself, as it sounds very inviting.
    I love your photos:)

• omgyummy March 17, 2011 at 10:37 am #

From what I read, it’s an easy recipe to 1/2 – so indulge. It’s worth the effort. Fun dish to experience.

18. Deidre March 15, 2011 at 4:28 pm #

I frequently eat dinner for breakfast, this is in part because I don’t like breakfast food that much.

I just tried quinoa flakes which was kind of an experiment! But it turned out pretty well in my granola bars.

• omgyummy March 17, 2011 at 10:38 am #

I’ve been reading alot about quinoa on some gluten free blogs. Very interesting ingredient and so good for you. Good idea to use in granola bars.

I do love regular breakfast food but sometimes you just have to branch out and thankfully, my family is willing to go along for the ride.

19. Orly @yumivore March 16, 2011 at 11:00 pm #

so unusual, I’ll have to give this a try!

• omgyummy March 17, 2011 at 10:39 am #

If you try it, I’d love to get a report. It’s unusual but in a good way and it’s also great for adding your own creativity.

20. Nuts about Food March 23, 2011 at 8:19 am #

This looks fabulous, love the idea!

21. Teresa April 11, 2011 at 11:15 am #

This would not only taste great at breakfast time, but be full of the energy you need to start your day. Glad you made this a good fit for your family.

1. Quirky Quinoa – French Fridays with Dorie « OMG! Yummy - April 2, 2011

[...] mint. The orange mint sounded perfect and very breakfast-like to me. Surely if my family will eat linguine for breakfast, they’ll try [...]