Yesterday I wrote about a wonderful spring-like dish — grilled steak and arugula salad – while the rain pelted against the window and the temperature dropped into the 40s. While I optimistically wrote about spring in hopes of creating some sunny weather mojo, another sign of spring sprang up in the LA Times Food section.

A little background: Last weekend, we flew to LA for my brother’s 50th birthday celebration held in Redondo Beach. Wicked Wiches Catering was working the event. I asked if I could take some photos of their handiwork and share it on Twitter for the LA Times online feature called Weekendeats (follow @LATimesfood,@ReneLynch, and hashtag #weekendeats). Every Monday, Rene Lynch encourages her followers to share interesting food they ate on the weekend, preferably with a photo posted on Twitter and the LA Times blog. It’s a fun way to ease into the week, drool over all the yummy food and meet some other foodies, food bloggers, and eateries.

The most beautiful dish Wicked Wiches served was called Caprese on a Stick and it looked like this (I took the photo with my iPhone on HDR):

linear caprese

Photo of Wicked Wiches Catering's Caprese-on-a stick featured in the LA Times food section

I posted it on weekendeats on Monday and shortly thereafter Rene asked if she could use the photo. Yesterday, the LA Times Food section came out with the following:

Linear caprese in the LA Times

As featured in the March 24 LA Times food section!

What a fun ending to a very dreary week, weather-wise. And doesn’t this “linear caprese” look like spring on a plate? I just know the sun will be here soon…

Hope you have a fun, food-filled weekend.

P.S. As if that wasn’t enough of a sunny-ending to my week, Rene posted another story on the The Daily Dish about new words included in the Oxford English Dictionary and OMG! is now officially a word in the OED.

, , , , , , , , , , , ,

16 Responses to More Sunny Food for a Rainy Day – “linear caprese” photo featured in the LA Times Food section!

1. Margaret Almon March 25, 2011 at 10:46 am #

How cool! Congratulations on the publication of your great photo.

• omgyummy March 29, 2011 at 7:58 am #

Thanks! Appreciate you stopping by. Just checked out your glass mosaics – love them. Hope to come back and browse some more soon!

2. rsmacaalay March 27, 2011 at 1:04 am #

Wow thats cool! Congratulations.

• omgyummy March 29, 2011 at 8:05 am #

Thanks! Love the latest dish you posted – a savory pork rib breakfast soup with a wonderful history. Great stuff.

3. Teresa March 27, 2011 at 11:19 am #

Wow – that’s really wonderful! You know you’ve got something when your photo makes it into the print edition. Congratulations!

4. Kristy March 27, 2011 at 12:05 pm #

Yum, yum, yum!! Thanks so much for visiting me on my SITS day!!

5. Julie M. March 28, 2011 at 6:38 am #

Wow! Look at you go! That is really exciting! Great picture as well. Spring has kind of left the building here as well. I’m hoping it returns soon because this cold rain stuff is for the birds!

• omgyummy March 29, 2011 at 8:07 am #

My LA Times photo success definitely added some seriously needed sunshine to an otherwise very gray week in N. California last week. The sun is back and I hope it makes it’s way to the east coast for you soon.

6. Anneliesz March 28, 2011 at 10:57 pm #

I was so excited to hear about you getting published Beth. Very cool!

• omgyummy March 29, 2011 at 8:09 am #

Thanks Anneliesz! Yet another reason that I am so glad I went to BlogHerfood last October. Still enjoying all the people I met (like you and Rene Lynch) and the great stuff I learned. Yippee for food bloggers and food journalists!

7. Orly @yumivore March 30, 2011 at 8:42 pm #

Beth the Caprese on a Stick is such a cute and creative idea, and I just happen to have fresh mozzarella balls and tomatoes at home! I’ll have to give it a try. Congrats on being featured!

• omgyummy March 31, 2011 at 9:29 am #

Thanks Orly! The idea was the brain-child of Wicked-wiches.com catering and it really looks great and tastes great too with the fresh basil leaves and the tasty balsamic vinegar and olive oil dressing. Inspired my photographic creativity, even with just an iPhone in my hand!

8. Caren with a "C" March 31, 2011 at 9:14 am #

That’s totally exciting to have your picture in the newspaper! What a cool food idea! So simple you wonder why you never thought of it yourself?!

• omgyummy March 31, 2011 at 9:30 am #

I find it amazing how you can take an existing recipe but put it together differently and make such an impact on the plate and palate. Just love the creativity of food!

9. Lisa April 2, 2011 at 11:34 am #

Congratulations on the press! How exciting! I’m here via SITS. Have a great weekend! ; )

1. Bloggers as Agents of Change For Our Own Community « OMG! Yummy - May 25, 2011

[...] our contributions and provide a URL to post our photos. Rene even featured one of my photos in the printed food section [...]