Chocolate-covered Matzo with Toasted Nuts and Sea Salt

I love celebrating Passover for so many reasons. But the highlight for me is using food symbolically to retell the story of Passover (freeing of the Israelites from Egyptian slavery). For example, we dip parsley in salt water. The parsley represents the coming of spring and the salt water represents the tears that were shed; we eat a fruit and nut mixture called charoset which represents the mortar the Israelite slaves used for brick-building. We eat matzo crackers to symbolize how quickly the Israelites fled, leaving no time for the bread to rise. Instead, they baked it unleavened and hence the flat, crispy matzo crackers. (Given my history with yeast breads, I would have excelled at this baking task!)

An easy recipe for a yummy Passover dessertAs if we don’t already consume enough calories and carbs during the multi-course symbolic traditional seder meal, one of my family’s favorite desserts is chocolate covered matzo. I originally found the recipe when I was searching years ago for simple holiday recipes for cooking with kids.

But don’t stop reading if you’re not Jewish – this is a great cookie/bar type of sweet to have around for lunches, impromptu gatherings, and to enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee any time of day.

Chocolate-covered Matzoh with Toasted Nuts and Sea Salt

(adapted from Stephanie Gallager’s recipe)

non-stick cooking spray
3-4 boards of matzo (plain or egg matzo will work)
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) of margarine or butter (I use butter)
1/2 cup of brown sugar (light or dark)
1 1/2 cups of semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
1 cup of chopped nuts such as walnuts, hazelnuts, pecans, or almonds (I also toasted them*)
1/4 tsp. of your favorite salt such as kosher sea salt (you can use more or less salt, to your personal taste)

*You can toast nuts by placing on a baking sheet in a toaster oven or in a regular oven at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. Keep an eye on them – they go from deliciously toasty to burnt rather quickly.

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

2. Line a cookie or baking sheet (approx 12 X 17 inches) with foil and spray it with non-stick cooking spray.

Placing matzoh in the pan3. Now line the foil with the matzo slices, breaking them up as needed to fit the pan from edge to edge. Doesn’t have to be perfect.

Chocolate-covered Matzoh4. Heat the butter and sugar in a small saucepan on medium to medium high heat just until it boils. Be sure it is well mixed together, then pour it all over the matzo, using a spatula to spread it.

5. Bake for about 10 minutes (it will be bubbling), turn the oven off, and remove the matzo.

How to prepare chocolate covered matzoh6. Now sprinkle the chocolate chips all over the matzo and return the pan to the oven for two minutes. This will melt the chips enough so you can easily spread them all over.

7. Remove after two minutes and spread the chips with a spatula or some type of spreading implement.

As easy recipe for Passover dessert - chocolate covered matzoh8. If you are using nuts, sprinkle the nuts and sea salt all over.

I have read many different recipes for chocolate-covered matzo and some don’t tell you how to proceed from this point at all and some say to cut them immediately. Here is what I do: I put the whole tray in the fridge and let it cool for an hour or longer. You can then do one of two things:

Either remove the foil with matzo in tact, place on a cutting board and cut into small squares or whatever shapes you want.

Alternatively, you can just randomly break up the matzos (similar to bark) in serving size pieces.

If you cut the matzo when they are warm, you risk cutting through to the pan, because they are too fragile to remove from the pan at that point.

chocolate covered matzo with toasted nuts and sea saltOther topping choices – you can add toasted coconut, dried fruits, sprinkles, really whatever fits your family’s Passover dietary restrictions or satisfies your family’s sweet tooth. The richness of the chocolate, the sweet caramel flavor contrasting to the salt and crunch of the matzo is just a wonderful synergistic combination. And yes, many people have said – OMG! Yummy – after their first bite. It’s true. But don’t just take my word for it. Try it for yourself – it’s a big flavor payoff from relatively little work. Just my kind of recipe.

, , , , , , , , , ,

36 Responses to Chocolate-covered Matzo with Toasted Nuts and Sea Salt

1. Rufus' Food and Spirit Guide April 15, 2011 at 8:21 am #

That looks great! Love the idea of using sea salt.

• omgyummy April 15, 2011 at 11:54 am #

Yes – the combo of the nuts, salt, and chocolate – heaven on a matzo cracker!

2. Scraps April 15, 2011 at 10:00 am #

I might have to try this as a sweet for this year’s Easter dinner (cross cultures? sure, why not!). I was invited to a Seder many years ago and fondly remember the charoset portion of the evening. And the searching for the… Ami Kofem? (phonetic spelling and I’m sure I’m misremembering the name)

Though, suddenly, being reminded of charoset symbolizing mortar makes me think about Hansel and Gretel eating the witch’s cottage!

• omgyummy April 15, 2011 at 11:59 am #

Do it! Love crossing cultures – we do it all the time in this house by nature and by choice. Great memory, by the way, you are so close. It is afikomen. The kids all look for a hidden piece of matzo and the host and hostess give the kids prizes for finding it.

LOL about Hansel and Gretel and the witch’s cottage. So we actually make a Hillel sandwich out of it (another story there as well) by putting charoset between two pieces of matzo and adding horseradish. Might sound odd but it is oh so tasty and a bit messy. Not nearly as sweet as the witch’s cottage was but equally as delicious.

• Andrea April 16, 2011 at 8:45 pm #

Not even crossing cultures =) Many Christians (including my family) celebrate Passover every year. This is by far- my FAVORITE thing to look forward to at our Passover, I LOVE this stuff! =)

• Harry Zinn April 19, 2011 at 3:15 pm #

The closest transliteration is Afikomen. It is that piece of matzoh that is hidden at some point during the Seder and must be found (usually by the children) and returned to be eaten the Seder guests as the last item of the meal. The word comes from the Ancient Greek word that means “dessert.”

• omgyummy May 2, 2011 at 6:23 pm #

I didn’t know the history of the word — thanks Harry!

3. Brenda April 15, 2011 at 12:14 pm #

This looks delicious! Almost like a light English toffee. I’m going to try it. Where the heck do you buy the Matzoh crackers?! I suppose they’re at any grocery store but I’ve never looked for them before. :o)

• omgyummy April 15, 2011 at 1:09 pm #

At this time of year, you can find matzo in any store. If you see the Yehuda brand, they have the best but any brand will do. There will be an endcap with Passover stuff or go to the ethnic aisle where they have the small display of Jewish food. They’d be great for a soccer treat after the game…

4. foodwanderings April 15, 2011 at 1:32 pm #

Hey girl this method is brilliant. First time I’ve seen anyone doing it this way. Chocolate covered matza is the ultimate Passover dessert!!

• omgyummy April 18, 2011 at 12:57 pm #

So easy but so good – first batch was devoured at my son’s school and second batch is ready to go for first night seder at my sister-in-law’s house. Hope you have a wonderful Pesach!

5. Orly @yumivore April 15, 2011 at 1:46 pm #

I love love savory and sweet combinations, what a wonderful idea to add toasted nuts (another favorite) and sea salt – this is OMGYummmy! Happy Passover Beth!

• omgyummy April 18, 2011 at 12:58 pm #

Same to you Orly! You know, one of those caramels and piece of chocolate-covered matzo wouldn’t be a bad combo…

6. Irene Saiger April 15, 2011 at 5:58 pm #

Looks great!!! Have a wonderful holiday.

Irene
    Bamitbach

• omgyummy April 18, 2011 at 12:59 pm #

You too Irene! I’m sure you will be eating all kinds of wonderful dishes.

7. Anneliesz April 16, 2011 at 1:30 pm #

Beth, these look great. I have been lucky enough to participate in a Seder and really appreciate the symbolic role food plays throughout the ritual.

• omgyummy April 18, 2011 at 1:00 pm #

It’s such a fun meal to be a guest for, especially if you’re a foodie who loves food stories! Glad you enjoyed the seder.

8. rsmacaalay April 17, 2011 at 12:19 am #

Love those matzo’s but not sure if we have those here in NZ, can I use saltine as a replacement?

• omgyummy April 18, 2011 at 1:03 pm #

I think saltines would work but they might be a little funky to work with in such small pieces. Also, I would minimize salt on top if using a salty cracker. Possibly you can buy matzo online??? If so, order many boxes, they will keep for a few months unopened and stored at a moderate temperature.

9. Jenn @ The Mommy Mambo April 18, 2011 at 10:42 am #

Another spectacularly sinful creation to tempt me as I struggle to stay aboard the wagon! Yum! Saturdays are my cheat day. Til then…

• omgyummy April 18, 2011 at 1:04 pm #

You can make it! And these are a great cheat – not only delicious but you can make the pieces as small as you want (or large) depending on how much you want to cheat :-)

10. Foodie for Two April 21, 2011 at 3:06 pm #

This recipe looks scrumptious! I found chocolate covered matzo in the grocery store a few years ago and haven’t seen it since. Thanks for sharing the recipe for such a tasty treat.

• omgyummy May 2, 2011 at 6:42 pm #

No need to buy it! Just make it. From looking at your blog, I can tell this would be a snap for you to create!

11. Susan Woolf April 22, 2011 at 5:25 am #

Easy and fabulous. In one batch, made 3 different versions to apease everyone’s taste. Nuts and salts for the sophisticates, nuts for the more timid and just chocolate for the kids. Huge hit… particularly the salted option. Thanks for sharing a great recipe that will be enjoyed for years to come.

• omgyummy May 2, 2011 at 6:43 pm #

Of course you made 3 different versions – you baking and cooking wonder you! Glad it was a big hit.

12. mathster April 27, 2011 at 4:41 pm #

I really love this recipe. Thanks for the post and reminder!

Sandra

13. morgan April 28, 2011 at 1:21 pm #

Yum! I pretty much like anything with chocolate on it, but this looks very tasty!

Visiting from SITS :)

• omgyummy May 2, 2011 at 6:54 pm #

Yummy, chocolatey, and easy – a triple threat!

14. Heather Lynne May 2, 2011 at 7:36 am #

I’m just checking your blog out, stopping by from SITS & WOW… have you ever got my mouth watering! :)

15. Elizabeth May 10, 2011 at 2:49 pm #

That is an awesome recipe! Thanks for posting, my kids love it!

16. katshealthcorner July 10, 2011 at 5:52 pm #

Oh my gosh! These are incredible! :D

1. Five Ways to Eat Matzo | Food & Think - April 20, 2011

[...] The Kitchn calls this caramel and chocolate–topped matzo candy “matzo crack.” My aunt makes a similar, delicious recipe with only chocolate and nuts (I don’t know if the link goes to the same recipe she uses, but [...]

2. Nibbles 'n Bites - Reviving an Easter Tradition - April 25, 2011

[...] (deviled eggs, pimento cheese with celery, chocolate covered matzo, & spinach dip with [...]

3. Reviving an Easter Tradition at Circle of Food | Healthy Food Blog - April 25, 2011

4. It’s Almost Passover but I’m Playing with Flour! « OMG! Yummy - March 28, 2012

[...] OMG! Yummy: Chocolate-covered Matzo with Toasted Nuts and Sea Salt and of course Bubbe’s [...]

5. Matzo Farfel Kugel for Passover - OMG! Yummy - March 24, 2013