Why I Love Blogging and Strawberry Jam

I’ve been so busy orchestrating our summer adventures and the kids’ changing schedules that I’ve barely had time to cook, let alone write blog posts. But the other morning I received an email from a friend and it reminded me why I love blogging and strawberry jam. So here comes a post, time crunch or not.

I recently visited a friend in Lodi to play a 2-day golf tournament. Lodi is a wonderful farming and wine-growing community about 1/2 hour south of Sacramento, CA. Her refrigerator was indicative of the local crop: overflowing with berries and cherries of all kinds. How can you not overbuy when the produce is that fresh and delicious? So I mentioned that I frequently get overzealous at the farmer’s market myself and suggested making jam as a way to use up some of the berries. I forwarded her two of my favorite recipes – one from Ina Garten and one from Sarabeth Levine. That was about a week and a half ago. Tuesday, she wrote me this note:

“Also, thank you for the jam recipes. I ended up making 10 jars of strawberry and 22 jars of boysenberries. The berries were so fresh and flavorful I could not resist doing so much.”

That note is the essence of why I love blogging: motivating people to get in the kitchen and create great food and share it with their friends and family.

Recently, my daughter had a sleepover and I had an overflowing bowl of strawberries in the fruit drawer. So I made jam using Sarabeth Levine’s recipe, popped out to the local bakery for fresh croissants and wala – two happy kids eating homemade jam and croissants on a summer morning. Only thing that could have improved that scenario for me was to be eating those croissants in Paris.

Here’s how the jam turned out.

Sarabeth Levine's strawberry jam recipe

When I sent Sarabeth Levine (@goddesobakedom) a note on Twitter, she loved my photo and just wished she could taste the jam. Well that made me almost as happy as the email from my friend.

If you don’t want to make large quantities of jam and go through the canning process (though it is not difficult if you just follow the directions), just half the recipe, refrigerate, and eat it up in a week or two. That won’t be hard, trust me on that.

, , , , , , , , , , ,

14 Responses to Why I Love Blogging and Strawberry Jam

1. Georgia Bibeau July 7, 2011 at 9:56 am #

Mmmmmmm. Thank you. I bought a big thing of strawberries at Costco last weekend because I just couldn’t contain myself. Alan suggested freezing them for my smoothies (I use frozen fruit instead of ice) instead of buying frozen. But now — now I can try making the jam I’ve been missing for so many years!! When we went to France the first time, we found a strawberry/vanilla jam that I’ve been unable to find since (neither here nor there). Yep, you are inspiring!!!

• omgyummy July 7, 2011 at 1:43 pm #

Both great ideas – freezing for smoothies and making jam. And don’t be afraid to experiment – some vanilla extract or even a vanilla bean tossed in while cooking could be delicious. Another one of Ina’s recipes uses a little cointreau in the jam … yum. Let me know how it turns out!

2. sandy corman July 7, 2011 at 10:10 am #

Jam looks delicious. Would go great on a bagel with creamcheese or a slice of toast with a good cup of coffee. Sounds better to me at least then a croissant in Paris. Give me a good old fashioned N.Y. style bagel anytime.

• omgyummy July 7, 2011 at 1:45 pm #

You’d really turn down a cup of that French espresso with a fresh, flaky croissant? Really? I agree the bagel would be delicious but for me, one isn’t better than the other. Both are fabulous and one should not have to choose between them :-)

3. Caren with a "C" July 8, 2011 at 3:35 pm #

That jam looks delicious! I need to make some before berry season is over!

• omgyummy July 11, 2011 at 4:53 pm #

It’s so easy – definitely give it a try and let me know how it comes out!

4. ab home interiors July 8, 2011 at 3:54 pm #

Seriously! Two of my favorite things! Happy weekend!

• omgyummy July 11, 2011 at 4:57 pm #

Nice design blog you have – how about trading jam for interior decorating advice :-) Hope you had a great weekend.

5. rsmacaalay July 10, 2011 at 1:51 am #

I missed the place where I took my uni in the Philippines after looking at this post. It is a place where theres a lot of strawberries and they are known for making strawberry jams. That jam of yours looks so delicious!

• omgyummy July 11, 2011 at 4:59 pm #

So glad it evoked good food memories!

Last night I made some and added a bit of vanilla and a little orange liquor – it’s really yummy and so easy. I was even tired when I did it and managed to not mess it up!

6. bluecottonmemory July 13, 2011 at 12:36 pm #

The only thing that could make that any better would be some scones, lemon curd and whipped cream – put that jam between the lemon curd and whipped cream! MMMmmmmmm! That picture is delicious!!!

7. toi July 20, 2011 at 3:47 pm #

Blogging is awesome. Lovely strawberry jam, I wish I could learn to make them too. Stopping by from Sits :).

8. rebecca July 26, 2011 at 8:36 pm #

oh wow great jam and with croissants heavenly

1. I Think I Can, I Think I Can … Apricot Raspberry Jam « OMG! Yummy - May 24, 2012

[...] year, I started making strawberry jam with my overfull fruit basket. One batch was so good the jam almost helped @techsavvyteen win his [...]