French Fridays with Dorie: Nutella Tartine

French Fridays with DorieAs you’ve come to expect, here is OMG! Yummy’s Saturday edition of French Fridays with Dorie.

How could I resist? Page 414 of Around My French Table displays a picture of toasted brioche dripping with nutella, scattered with toasted, chopped nuts. The fork is dripping with the chocolate hazelnut confection and in the background is a jar of orange marmalade and two small bowls of chopped nuts and sea salt. If any of these delectable ingredients is not your cup of tea, then by all means, click onward. But if you are in the same mindset as me that anything with bread, chocolate, sea salt, and toasted nuts must be worth a try, then read on. French Fridays with Dorie

Nutella Tartine from Dorie Greenspan’s cookbook Around My French Table opens with “It is impossible to overestimate the French love of Nutella, the chocolate and hazelnut spread invented in Italy about seventy years ago and eaten with gusto all over most of Europe.”  The photo was enough to hook me, the headnote just sealed the deal.

I envisioned many ways I could turn this from a simple snack to a major undertaking — make the orange marmalade myself, bake the brioche from scratch, find a recipe for chocolate hazelnut spread instead of using the purchased jar. But really, if I can’t even complete the recipe in time for the Friday post, that line of thinking was just going nowhere. So instead, I found some brioche buns I had in the freezer, stopped at our new grocery store (yippee!) and purchased a jar of organic marmalade and some fresh hazelnuts.

French Fridays with DorieThis morning I took the buns out to defrost, toasted the hazelnuts, opened a new jar of nutella from the pantry, snapped some photos and the preparation began. It is quite simple – once you’ve gathered your ingredients including toasting and chopping the hazelnuts and slicing the bread if necessary (challah would also be yummy), you just brush the brioche with the melted butter and slide them under the broiler to brown. When you pull them out, be ready to slather with the bitter sweet orange marmalade, drip the nutella on with the tines of a fork, scatter some sea salt and lots of toasted, chopped hazelnuts and eat it as quickly as you can. My daughter and I found the juxtaposition of the bitter marmalade, the sweet nutella, the chunky hazelnuts, and the crunchy, buttery bread intoxicating.French Fridays with Dorie

Dorie explains in a side note that in France, a chocolate sandwich is a common after-school snack – the French version of milk and cookies. I recall Molly Wizenberg in her book A Homemade Life writes a whole chapter about the first time her parents took her to Paris and the food she most remembered was a chocolate sandwich. Sometimes it is really just the simple things…

To read more renditions of this recipe, check out the French Fridays with Dorie web site and buy Dorie Greenspan’s award-winning cookbook Around My French Table. You will cherish the purchase and learn from each recipe and story that she shares.

, , , , , , , ,

31 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Nutella Tartine

1. Teresa February 11, 2012 at 12:38 pm #

In France, the brioche would be from the bakery and the other ingredients likely would be, too. So your version’s authentic. :)

• omgyummy February 11, 2012 at 2:52 pm #

Teresa – I can always count on you for an uplifting comment! I think Dorie did mention that nobody makes their own brioche in France because it is so widely available. Heading over to see your post soon…

2. frugalfeeding February 11, 2012 at 1:40 pm #

That looks yummy :D

• omgyummy February 11, 2012 at 2:52 pm #

Tastes even better than it looks!

3. Cher February 11, 2012 at 1:43 pm #

There’s nothing wrong with simple and good. Life needs things like that.

• omgyummy February 11, 2012 at 2:53 pm #

Couldn’t agree more. I’ve done my share of complicated cooking but life just doesn’t allow that right now. So simple and yummy it is!

4. Lana Watkins February 11, 2012 at 2:08 pm #

I grew up with Eurocrem (another Italian hazelnut-chocolate concoction, in which the layers are separated, very yummy), rather than Nutella, and for a few years I was an addict:) But I never really liked this spread on bread, even though it is ubiquitous in Europe.

I sometimes get in to that groove that I have to make everything myself (my sister teases me all the time and asks when I am buying the herd of cows to make my own leather products:), but if you can find a source of great products that satisfy your standards, I don’t see a problem with making it easier on yourself:)

I hope you are having a great weekend!

• omgyummy February 11, 2012 at 2:57 pm #

How interesting Lana – never heard of Eurocrem or saw it when we were there a few years ago.

The only person in my young life that made most things from scratch (at least baked goods) was my grandmother. My mom and aunts, not so much. While I aspire to learn what my grandmother did, I can’t kid myself that my life just doesn’t afford me the luxury to do it all. I experiment when I can and I take short cuts when I have to!

5. Confessions of a Culinary Diva February 11, 2012 at 2:38 pm #

Simple sometimes really is best. Why mess with a good thing!

• omgyummy February 11, 2012 at 2:57 pm #

Great minds….

Thanks for coming by.

6. Sandy Corman February 11, 2012 at 3:40 pm #

again what you made looks and I am sure tastes yummy. As I have said before grandma would be proud of your baking abilities. She used to put chocolate, cocoa and nuts in her
    coffee cake and it was to die for. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

• omgyummy February 14, 2012 at 7:47 am #

Oh how I wish I had that recipe….

7. Lola February 12, 2012 at 8:40 pm #

Simple is good! I tried making my own marmalade and it turned out to be a waste of time and money and ended up in the trash!

• omgyummy February 14, 2012 at 7:48 am #

Oh no! Well it’s not a total waste – you always learn something in the kitchen, even when you don’t succeed! Thanks for stopping by!

8. (y)our food choices February 13, 2012 at 9:37 pm #

Terrific post! We are going to obsess over this for days. Seriously yummy and so simple. Everyone should have a tub of Nutella in their pantries, non?!?! Loving your blog.

• omgyummy February 14, 2012 at 7:50 am #

Thanks – the admiration is mutual.

And don’t obsess over this – just make it and eat it! It will be a perfect Valentine’s treat!

9. Barb - The Empty Nest Mom March 1, 2012 at 4:29 am #

If a chocolate sandwich is a typical after school snack in France – then I want to live in France and be a student who comes home from school and needs a snack. These look wonderful! Tres jolie!

• omgyummy March 1, 2012 at 3:43 pm #

I know, right?! Really a glass of red wine and a dark chocolate sandwich could sustain me. Ok maybe some water and fresh strawberries too but that’s it!

10. Tabitha Blue March 1, 2012 at 5:33 am #

OMG! YUM, for real! I’m going to try this as soon as I can… have to gather the bread and marmalade, but the Nutella I have. Can’t wait!

• omgyummy March 1, 2012 at 3:44 pm #

Do it soon – it will put a smile on your face from the very first bite!

11. Amber March 1, 2012 at 5:59 am #

Mmm…yum, I would LOVE that!

Happy SITS Day to you!

• omgyummy March 1, 2012 at 3:45 pm #

Thanks! Come by for another nosh soon!

12. Anjie Orlowski March 1, 2012 at 8:54 am #

Yummo! I will have to remember this one! Simple yet sounds delicious!

Happy SITS Day!

• omgyummy March 1, 2012 at 3:46 pm #

Thanks. It’s low on effort, high on flavor!

13. Luci March 1, 2012 at 9:52 am #

I frequently have Nutella as an afternoon pick-me-up. I say it’s comparable in nutrition to peanut butter (with a little less fat and a little more sugar. My way is smoothed lightly on a rice cake (gasp! treason!).

• omgyummy March 1, 2012 at 3:51 pm #

You have to put something on a rice cake to make it worth chewing. I had this conversation with my son recently – he said they are just vehicles for peanut butter, aren’t they? But nutella is starting to sound like a good alternative to the pb. If you’re really worried about the sugar/ingredient content, you can actually make your own.

Thanks for stopping by!

14. Ashley Marie March 1, 2012 at 12:13 pm #

The nuts on top look yummy!!

• omgyummy March 1, 2012 at 3:51 pm #

Ah yes, roasted hazelnuts to mimic the flavor in the nutella – they were lovely!

15. liz March 1, 2012 at 7:05 pm #

we eat chocolate sandwiches every day!

16. orly @yumivore February 5, 2013 at 12:24 pm #

OMG YUM!

1. Food Poetry: Ode to Nutella - OMG! Yummy - December 12, 2012

[…] What is your favorite way to eat Nutella? I think mine might be in crepes. In this French Friday’s post from last February, I shared one of Dorie Greenspan’s favorite ways to use Nutella – in this drippingly delicious Nutella Tartine. […]