Wordless Wednesday (almost) – My Daughter Bakes Her First Cake!

After requesting and receiving two baking cookbooks for her 14th birthday, my daughter immediately dove in and made a Banana Caramel Cake from the Martha Stewart Baking Handbook. Here’s the final result (photo by her brother @techsavvyteen) and below that, a pictorial of the process:

Martha Stewart's Banana Caramel Cake

Click on any image below to see a revolving gallery of her cake-baking experience!

Do you remember your first baking experience? I would love to hear about it in the comments below!

, , , , , , ,

22 Responses to Wordless Wednesday (almost) – My Daughter Bakes Her First Cake!

1. Heather @ SugarDish(Me) February 22, 2012 at 1:10 pm #

Banana bread is the VERY FIRST THING I ever learned to bake! I think I was 8 or 9. In fact it is the foundation of my blog! I saw the title of that cookbook stating that “anyone can bake” and I will attest to the trueness of that. Gorgeous cake.

• omgyummy February 22, 2012 at 1:16 pm #

Thanks Heather! My grandmother was a prolific baker (look for my bubbe posts to learn more about it) but her kids did not carry on the tradition and now I am trying to pick up where she left off. I am a better savory cook than baker but trying to change that! Banana chocolate chip loaf was my first baking experience and I still make it today!

2. Scraps February 22, 2012 at 1:29 pm #

The first thing I remember baking on my own were these simple (but time consuming–we didn’t have an electric mixer so I had to whip the egg white by hand) peanut butter meringue kisses from one of the Junior League cookbooks Mom had from back home.I must have been about 10 or so.

I made some for a party not too long ago and they were just as good (though vastly easier with the KitchenAid, lol) as I remembered.

• omgyummy February 22, 2012 at 1:34 pm #

Oh those sound delightful — all of the great flavors but lightened up a bit. We didn’t have anything electric for egg whites when I was little either – we had one of those hand beaters that you turned the crank. Sometimes now when I only have one or two whites, I beat by hand with a whisk just to make baking a little more aerobic :-).

3. Cheryl Connors February 22, 2012 at 1:52 pm #

Not sure it’s considered baking. But making Japanese Mochi with my Mom wearing my plastic apron. Which I still have! I must of been about 5 or 6 years old. :)

• omgyummy February 22, 2012 at 9:04 pm #

That totally counts – I want to see a picture and see you model the apron!

4. Carol Sacks February 22, 2012 at 2:03 pm #

So sweet! Love this post.

• omgyummy February 22, 2012 at 9:06 pm #

Thanks Carol – wish she didn’t have homework more often so she could bake more often -she learned so much including time mgmt, science (making caramel). So much better than all the book work!

5. Irene February 22, 2012 at 2:35 pm #

My first experience was baking a devil’s food cake at my cousin Micheline’s home. I just remember that it tasted great, to of our surprise. Congratulations to your daughter!
    irene

• omgyummy February 22, 2012 at 9:10 pm #

Devil’s food – one of my absolute favorites.

I think my very first baking memories are of my grandmother baking or me using Easy Bake :-) – a very, very old Easy Bake.

6. sarene February 22, 2012 at 5:56 pm #

I remember your banana chocolate chip bread from sixth grade. It blew my mind that chocolate chips could be added to banana bread, and how amazing it was. Still my fave way to have banana bread.

• omgyummy February 22, 2012 at 9:08 pm #

Such a simple but great recipe. Can’t believe that’s a childhood memory for you – especially with all the amazing baking you do! That’s kind of inspiring! By the way, I’ve had a craving for your linzer cookies you brought for Ali’s Bat M last year – put it on our must-bake list when I come to visit.

7. Lana February 23, 2012 at 1:15 am #

The first baking experience for me has to be a Serbian dessert similar to angel food cake (if I am not allowed to count crepes:)
    This looks really good and I applaud Allison for her efforts and determination! You hvae done well, my friend!

• omgyummy February 23, 2012 at 7:40 am #

I will pass on your applause :-) Oh I would count crepes but I guess it’s a little bit of a different technique. Did you write about the Serbian angel food cake on your blog? I think I remember a post about it.

8. ab home interiors February 25, 2012 at 7:26 am #

Yay! What an incredible milestone…can’t say my first cake was ANY where near that good looking! hahaha

9. (y)our food choices February 29, 2012 at 12:20 pm #

The cake looks delicious! Looks like you have a budding baker on your hands.

• omgyummy February 29, 2012 at 12:47 pm #

Yes, I think so. Cake Boss is one of her favorite shows and dessert is her favorite course. And she has patience for decorating (which she didn’t get from me) :-)

10. Rose's Daughter March 1, 2012 at 1:07 am #

Wow! This is a great looking cake! Happy SITS Day!

11. Tinne from Tantrums and Tomatoes March 1, 2012 at 4:48 am #

Hello, I just find your blog through the SITS-girls. Very nice :)
    My first baking experience : waffles or speculoos. I’m not sure which, mainly because my mother (and grandmother) where such bakers that I was literaly raised among the flour and butter.

12. jamiegall1930 March 1, 2012 at 2:46 pm #

Wow! That cake looks delicious =) You got a grumble out of my stomach!

13. Carlo/Carlo At Your Service Productions March 1, 2012 at 10:52 pm #

Now this is gonna make me bake! OMG! Yummy… right? Because it sure looked like it was yummy. Congratulations to your daughter for making her first cake. And, getting rave reviews about doing so, too.

Boy, it looks good.

14. Leslie March 2, 2012 at 6:17 pm #

For a first cake, that is seriously impressive! I still struggle with uneven layers after years and years of baking.