Five Easy Meal Ideas to Break Out of your Mid-Week Slump!

When I was featured on TheSitsGirls web site on March 1, so many people requested recipe ideas and were desperately seeking inspiration to cook. As I survive this crazy busy week touring colleges with my son, I find myself struggling to get home-cooked food on the table. So I thought you might need a little mid-week inspiration as well. Here are a few popular posts from my archives to help you get some hot food on the table tonight:

1. Brenda’s Breaded Chicken – easy, flexible to prepare, great leftoversBrenda's Breaded Chicken

2. Crock-Pot Carnitas – get it started in the morning, ready when you get home from work

3. Steak and Arugula Salad – a whole meal on one plate – just add a crusty piece of bread

4. Roasted Veggies – perfect to go with any of the above main courses – prepare a lot and use on sandwiches and a couple of more dinners

Easy Roasted Vegetables

5. Roasted Tomato Sauce – wonderful even when it’s not tomato season – put it over pasta and I guarantee you and your kids will be licking the bowl!

Have any tried and true mid-week meal ideas? Please don’t be shy and share them in the comments below.

, , , , , , ,

14 Responses to Five Easy Meal Ideas to Break Out of your Mid-Week Slump!

1. casacks March 14, 2012 at 3:15 pm #

They all look great. Nice post, good luck on the college touring!

• omgyummy March 15, 2012 at 8:28 am #

One more today and then we take a break from tours – whoo!

2. lizthechef March 14, 2012 at 4:52 pm #

Nice collection of easy recipes -

• omgyummy March 15, 2012 at 8:29 am #

Thanks Liz – can’t wait to read your post today – I LOVE grandma’s recipes!

3. Diane March 14, 2012 at 5:15 pm #

Will you be my private chef?????!!!!! How yummy they all look!

4. Meredyth March 14, 2012 at 6:04 pm #

I’ve been using pressure cookers for a long time since I’ve learned how to cook in them during my time in Greece. Moshari lemonato a.k.a. beef in lemon sauce; cooking beets for a salad; home-corned beef, potatoes for mashing, cooking a pound of dried chickpeas
    that will be saved in 2 cup batches in the freezer for insta-pasta meals, etc.

• omgyummy March 15, 2012 at 8:35 am #

Wow – now that is a brilliant idea. I don’t have a pressure cooker but my neighbor has cooked a dinner for me from one and it’s amazing what you can do in such a short amount of time.

and beef in lemon sauce – I must find this recipe – sounds so Greek and so unusual and sublime!

5. Shannon Pruitt from 'Mynewfavoriteday' March 14, 2012 at 9:44 pm #

Just in time, I did need some inspiration. Good luck with college touring!

• omgyummy March 15, 2012 at 8:57 am #

Oh my goodness – I just read your recent blog post – what a terrific cup of sweet lemonade :-). Glad to provide some inspiration in the kitchen!

6. Georgia B. March 15, 2012 at 7:26 am #

Oh yeah, never did tell you, I think (old age is a terrible thing) . . . Tried the carnitas – hubby doesn’t really know much from Mexican food, so I’m trying to teach him. Even though I kinda messed up the recipe, forgot a couple things and they went in later than others, it still was wonderful. And because it’s just the two of us, we had leftovers for quite a while, which made this homesick Californian very happy.
    I so can’t believe he’s looking at colleges! Somehow I didn’t realize they were all the same, (or nearly the same?) age (Gregory, Maya & Reyna). Wow. Try to have some fun. Thanks again for those recipes. I meant to try the chicken, so that’ll probably be this weekend.

• omgyummy March 15, 2012 at 9:19 am #

Old age is better than the alternative :-). So glad you tried the carnitas! You can definitely riff on those a bit and they’ll still come out. I love recipes that yield a lot without extra effort. So nice to know dinner is set for a few days.

Let me know how the chicken turns out – you can be creative with the coating – the real key is the garlic-infused olive oil.

G is one year behind Maya and Reyna but it’s so helpful to look at schools now. But, yeah, can you believe it?

7. kagirohi.net October 20, 2013 at 7:32 am #

I am in fact pleased to read this website posts which carries plenty of helpful facts, thanks for providing these kinds oof statistics.

1. How to Roast a Whole Chicken – A Cooking Lesson Delivered by Smartphone « OMG! Yummy - March 21, 2012

[...] getting a hot meal on the table every night. So I assumed you were too and put together a post with five quick and easy weeknight recipes. Well, little did you know that very same day, I ended up roasting a chicken, or rather [...]