Lavash – New Ideas for an Old Style of Bread

Last weekend, I stopped by my local grocery – New Leaf – to pick up some lunch with a food-loving friend. While we headed to the check-out, we passed a table offering samples of rolled bread called lavash, which we of course stopped to sample. Lavash bread and crackers are of Armenian origin many thousands of years ago. But this demonstration opened my eyes to some new techniques and combinations with this soft version of the bread.

California LavashA company from Gilroy, California Lavash, bakes this bread daily in 4 types – original, wheat, spinach, and a slightly thicker style with olive oil intended to be used as pizza crust. The demo offered it up as a savory roll with feta, tomato hummus, arugula, cucumber, asparagus, and red pepper as well as a breakfast roll with yogurt, berries, and crunchy granola. Both were tasty combinations and forced me to think outside the box a bit about how I might use these nifty slices of lavash at home.

Here’s a few photos taken with my iPhone to show how she put the savory wrap together:

California Lavash

Be sure spread is all the way to the edge on finishing side

California Lavash

Start with a tight roll at the outset

California Lavash

Add layers of flavors as you go

California Lavash

More layers of flavor…

California Lavash

Near the end the arugula and feta – just keeps getting better

California Lavash

Here’s a finished one!

A couple more fun ideas!

Last weekend, I was out of hot dog rolls and just cut one piece of the lavash in half to use as a bun – slathered a bit of butter on one side, put it on my stove-top grill pan and heated it with a bit of cheese on top. Yum.

California Lavash

I also made peanut butter, banana, and homemade jam rollups as well as turkey, tomato basil spread, and arugula. So far, no leftovers have come home in the lunch bags. A good sign.

Sometimes just one new ingredient will freshen up your breakfast, lunch, or dinner routine. And it’s especially gratifying when that ingredient is a healthy addition to your diet.

California Lavash did not ask me to write this post or compensate me in any way for it. I just love the product and wanted to share my new-found ingredient with my readers. If, however, they are looking for a spokesperson or marketing consultant, I just might be available for the job :-)

, , , , , ,

10 Responses to Lavash – New Ideas for an Old Style of Bread

1. lizthechef May 31, 2012 at 3:24 pm #

Looks very healthy too – great impromptu photos!

• Beth (OMG! Yummy) May 31, 2012 at 3:52 pm #

They are healthy – New Leaf pretty much won’t carry anything that hasn’t passed their eagle eye nutrition inspection and their standards are even higher than mine. The photos were a whim but they worked out!

2. Linda Allen May 31, 2012 at 3:27 pm #

Looks like the way I make sushi but a lot less work. Will have to try this out.

• Beth (OMG! Yummy) May 31, 2012 at 3:53 pm #

Yes, it’s basically the sushi roll technique but as you said, the road to get there is far quicker!

3. Carol Sacks May 31, 2012 at 7:44 pm #

Looks good, Beth. Sounds like your new market is a absolute find.

• Beth (OMG! Yummy) June 1, 2012 at 10:41 am #

Yes, it’s been fun to be able to pop over and get healthy and delicious ingredients and prepared food. A long-awaited addition to our community!

4. Connie May 31, 2012 at 8:45 pm #

Wow, that is a unique way to serve lavash. I usually only eat it spread with hummus or eggplant dip whenever we go to Mediterranean restaurants with kebab, or with rotisserie chicken from the local Armenian restaurant. I recently found this particular brand at my local Fresh and Easy :-) I really like it.

• Beth (OMG! Yummy) June 1, 2012 at 10:42 am #

Isn’t fun to think about using an ingredient in a different way – cooking is so much about creativity!

5. Garry Corman June 3, 2012 at 1:43 pm #

Sometimes I like to roll up bits of sourdough inside my lavash. People just don’t use bread as a sandwich filling enough….

• Beth (OMG! Yummy) June 4, 2012 at 2:04 pm #

A good carbo loading technique before a big bike ride – good idea Gar!! I can always count on you for creative thinking!