Wordless Wednesday – A Perfect Pizza Party

Last Friday night, we attended our son’s girlfriend’s birthday party. Her mom, a gifted cook and caterer, prepared a fun evening for us all with a make-your-own pizza bar as the main course. Though she certainly did quite a bit of prep ahead of time making dough and chopping ingredients, she forced inspired us all to prepare our own main course – even Grandpa! (rumor is it’s the first thing he’s cooked in 15 years) After a short tutorial, our hostess put us all to work and I think I speak for everyone, that is was the most fun “work” we did all week — a perfect pizza party!

And what did she do with the leftover toppings? She made frittatas of course!

Here’s some iPhone photos of how she organized the pizza bar – my favorite shots by far are of Grandpa preparing his own pizza – be sure to scroll all the way to the end to view them.

Perfect Pizza Party

The expert set-up clearly reveals her catering experience!

Her dough recipe is adapted from March 2012 Bon Appetit

Perfect Pizza Party

Our skilled hostess explaining how to form the dough for the pizza pie

Perfect Pizza Party

Yum – next comes the olive oil…

Perfect Pizza Party

And the homemade pizza sauce with tomatoes from her lovely garden

And the toppings…

Now into the 500 degree oven on the pizza stone for 8 minutes

Perfect Pizza Party

Demo pizza fresh out of the oven

Perfect Pizza Party

My work of art – with a final touch of fresh basil after it was cooked

Perfect Pizza Party

Grandpa concentrating intently on his task at hand

Perfect Pizza Party

Having fun with the toppings!

Perfect Pizza Party

Grandpa puts the final touches on his pizza

Do you make your own pizza dough? and if yes, what’s your go-to recipe? (besides calling for take-out :-))

, , , , ,

21 Responses to Wordless Wednesday – A Perfect Pizza Party

1. sandy corman August 29, 2012 at 3:14 pm #

Man does that pizza look good. Can you buy ready made dough somewhere? Other then the dough I think i can do it. What I like about it is that it looks New york style. Very important.

• Beth August 29, 2012 at 7:52 pm #

Actually you can buy dough – Trader Joe’s sells some though I must say this homemade dough was much easier to work with. Whole Foods also sells dough or you can even go to your favorite pizza restaurant and ask them if you can buy dough. The trick is to cook it on a pizza stone at 500 degrees. The crust was crunchy but a little chewy on the inside – just perfect!

2. yummychunklet August 29, 2012 at 4:12 pm #

Now I want pizza!

• Beth August 29, 2012 at 7:52 pm #

It was really yummy – the dough the mom made was just the perfect texture to work with and eat.

3. Carol Sacks August 29, 2012 at 4:47 pm #

My favorite pizza dough! Looks like a fun evening.

• Beth August 29, 2012 at 7:54 pm #

Seems like an easy dough to make – she made two batches – one the day before, let it sit out, and then added it in to the other batch – almost like a bit of a sourdough starter. Really great consistency.

4. Meredyth August 30, 2012 at 3:03 pm #

Hi Beth and all!
    I make dough from Zoe Francois and Jeff Hertzberger’s book Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day.
    It’s a rather moist dough that’s kept in the fridge. A breeze to pull out a piece to make pizza with. Just got their book on Pizza and flatbreads…
    I mostly bake bread(s) and can’t yet take credit for the pizza, that goes to my handsomer half.

• Beth August 31, 2012 at 8:13 am #

Gosh I wish you lived closer Meredyth! I could learn a lot from you cooking in the same kitchen! Great info – I’ve heard that book is terrific. I’ll take a look at the url. Thanks!

5. Devon Riesenberg September 2, 2012 at 8:12 am #

Yum! I will have to try that pizza dough recipe! I just posted on my blog about this incredible Summer Peach Balsamic Pizza I made, which was SO good! I love how versatile pizza can be! You can top it with almost anything and play around with so many flavor combos!

• Beth September 2, 2012 at 9:02 am #

Peach Balsamic? Oh my – heading straight over to read about that! And I agree – pizza is so versatile. Had strawberry, basil, burrata the other day – amazing!

6. Dee September 2, 2012 at 9:21 am #

That looks like such a great party idea! Fun!

• Beth September 3, 2012 at 9:53 am #

It was – I am definitely going to give it a whirl myself once I practice making the dough!

7. Connie September 2, 2012 at 10:11 am #

I have never made pizza dough, but it looks like so much fun! I’m putting “pizza stone” on my “Kitchen Needs List.” I would love to make homemade pizza.

• Beth September 3, 2012 at 9:54 am #

The stone and high heat really turn out an authentic pizza parlor type crust! Hope you get everything on your list :-)

8. Diane | An Extraordinary Day September 2, 2012 at 7:23 pm #

This looks like a ton of fun!!
    A local cafe, within walking distance of our home, has grilled pizza night once a week. She uses a wood burning grill on the porch and makes the best sauce or pesto ever!!
    I think we need to try our hand at this at home. Yum!!!!
    P.S. just over from SITS Girls :D

• Beth September 3, 2012 at 9:58 am #

I have yet to try grilled pizza but I hear it’s terrific. What a fun event and within walking distance is even better!

9. Blond Duck September 3, 2012 at 4:14 am #

Popped in from SITS! It looks like so much fun!

• Beth September 3, 2012 at 9:59 am #

Almost as fun as your name – it makes me chuckle every time I see it!

10. misssrobin September 3, 2012 at 9:15 am #

That looks so yummy! I love the photos of grandpa, too.

We sometimes do a much simpler version of this: pizza sauce from a can on slices of French bread with your own toppings. Not as yummy, I’m sure, but still a big hit. When we do it for one of the kids’ parties I’m always surprised at how many in the room have never made their own pizza.

Thanks for sharing. Happy Sharefest. Have a great week.

• Beth September 3, 2012 at 10:00 am #

I am all for abbreviated versions – homemade dough is great but slices of French bread is a brilliant and delicious alternative. Thanks for sharing your idea!

11. Hannah September 4, 2012 at 8:08 pm #

What a fun evening! Your enticing photos are making me very hungry. We love homemade pizza and in the summer cook it on our grill in the backyard. You can’t beat the smokey flavor of the crust and burnt edges. My new favorite is to crack a few eggs on top to cook along with the crust. I think we need to make another batch before the rain starts up! Hope the school year is off to a great start for your family.