How Pie Dough Can Relieve Stress

“We must have a pie. Stress cannot exist in the presence of a pie.”

― David MametBoston Marriage

pie dough

The stress level in my house has been a little overwhelming — I think the problem is I haven’t been baking enough pies.  With both kids facing difficult challenges at the same time, I contributed some more stress to their angst-ridden week by missing a step in the garage and breaking my foot.

Our normal activity level is always a bit chaotic with each kid in a different school about 45 minutes from home. But if you add extra challenges to our schedule, well, we need to eat a lot of pie. But I forgot this simple rule and had no pie dough ready in the freezer.

To save you from the same mistake, and taking a cue from the brave East Coast Sandy survivors, many of whom prepared for the storm by baking and cooking while they still had electricity, I present you with a rerun of a couple of popular posts about conquering my fear of pie dough (dough-a-phobia) in hopes of motivating you to bake a lot of pie. The next few weeks of holiday madness can be stressful but not if you eat pie.

And yes, sometimes life is just that simple.

Pie Dough for Dummies: Top Tips for the Doughaphobic (originally run Dec 2010)

Blueberry Pie to Warm up your Winter (originally run Jan 2011)

What’s your favorite holiday pie and if you bake, what’s your best tip for pie-baking success?

(Pie photos courtesy of @dormantchef)

, , , , ,

11 Responses to How Pie Dough Can Relieve Stress

1. Carol Sacks November 5, 2012 at 1:00 pm #

Great reminder. Will bake a pie this week:)

• Beth November 6, 2012 at 7:25 am #

And you’re so good about having dough in the freezer. As soon as my foot allows, I’m going to spend a few hours stocking up!

2. Renee November 5, 2012 at 2:52 pm #

That pie picture brings back fond memories. That pie was DELICIOUS!!! So sorry to hear that you broke your foot! Deep breathing helps. Good luck!

• Beth November 6, 2012 at 7:27 am #

That’s right Renee! You were the lucky recipient of some of that pie! Let’s find a way to get together and bake this holiday season just because – not to get organized for a big event like a Bat M, just because! Maybe a rugelach bake off??? Let’s hope my foot cooperates!

3. misssrobin November 9, 2012 at 7:05 am #

I haven’t made a real pie in a few years, but they were yummy when I did. I use my mom’s crust recipe. The key to great crust it to not over mix it. That’s what allows it to be flaky. I just don’t imagine there’s a substitute for standing next to your mom (or grandma) and having her walk you through it several times. It’s really the only thing she taught me to make, but it’s sure a stand out.

I don’t have the baking drive I used to. Now, most of our pies are graham cracker crusted. Our favorite is pink lemonade pie. It’s more like a cream cheese dessert, but so yummy. And we make it in a graham cracker crust in a pie tin, so I’m still calling it a pie.

I love that quote about pie, by the way. Sounds like I should make a pie today.

Stopping by from SITS. Wishing you much less stress in your life.

• Beth November 10, 2012 at 5:40 am #

You too – thx for stopping by on a stressful day! Talking about food if not actually baking it, is always a nice respite from all the craziness.

Yes – no substitute for standing next to Grandma – I wish I had had an opportunity to do more of that. Warms my heart that you were able to do that with pie dough.

Keep baking and stop by again soon. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

4. The Dose of Reality November 14, 2012 at 7:41 pm #

Oh, man that pie looks good. I am PETRIFIED of making pie crust. I have not done well in the past…but I’m always willing to give it another try! Going to check out your recipe right now!!

5. Hannah November 15, 2012 at 7:56 pm #

Love that quote – so true! Pie is the answer. I hope your foot is healing quickly and that you are able to relax a bit. Definitely a chaotic, busy time! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

6. Traci November 17, 2012 at 6:45 am #

Hope your foot continues to heal quickly. I’m sure that the pie will help! :)
    I love to bake and totally agree that baking is therapy.

7. Tess November 17, 2012 at 2:29 pm #

I definately need pie then!

1. Saturday Sharefest: November 17th - The SITS Girls - November 17, 2012

[…] over at OMG Yummy, Beth has found the perfect way to combat stress. And it involves baking a pie. Which will make Beth welcome at my house any ol’ day of the […]