Food Poetry: Ode to Nutella

I interrupt my regularly scheduled food stories to share a food poem with you today, written by none other than my darling talented daughter for a poetry anthology in her English class. She adores almost all sweets, but Nutella is a near addiction, providing the perfect spoon-sized study break.

Nutella

This is a glass jar of Nutella, made in Italy, purchased in Boston

It seemed particularly appropriate to share this with you this week since the Nutella Breakfast truck happens to be roving the San Francisco Bay Area and is arriving in San Jose tomorrow, much to my daughter’s happiness. Click here for the schedule if you want to stop by!

Nutella

Canada on the left, Italy on the right

But did you know that not all Nutella is created equal? The spread that is sold in US stores in manufactured in Canada and has a higher sugar content than the spread produced in Italy. In addition, the Italian version has no added trans fat, the US version does. I found this out during a fantastic food tour of Boston’s North End, the Italian section, that I took in early November. I picked up a jar of the Italian stuff while visiting one of the small Italian groceries during the tour. If you get a chance to buy both types, give them a try side-by-side and see if you can tell the difference.

Without further delay, I present my daughter’s poem:

Ode to Nutella

A hint of hazelnut, and a burst of heaven

You hit my tongue and I am in a daze

Dense and smooth, you taste so good

You never fail to amaze

Too much, and you ail my health

Too little, and I crave for more

Oh, Nutella, what would I do without you?

Nutella, Nutella, you are the one I adore

I eat you by the spoonful

No crackers to dip, wash the decadence astray

You are so rich, so incredibly delicious

No need for anything to stand in your way

Dear Nutella, you are my obsession

I could eat you day and night and never tire

I wish I could have you in infinite supply

Nutella, Nutella, you are my only desire

If food poetry intrigues you, be sure to stop over at my friend Annelies’ blog, The Food Poet. Her love of the written word and fascination with compelling food are intermingled in each poetic post.

What is your favorite way to eat Nutella? I think mine might be in crepes. In this French Friday’s post from last February, I shared one of Dorie Greenspan’s favorite ways to use Nutella – in this drippingly delicious Nutella Tartine.

, , ,

23 Responses to Food Poetry: Ode to Nutella

1. sandy corman December 12, 2012 at 2:27 pm #

Love the poem but honestly never heard of Nutella before. Will have to try some soon.

• Beth December 12, 2012 at 2:30 pm #

Tell me it isn’t so? Even all those trips to Europe and you’ve never had Nutella? They serve it at almost every breakfast! I will have to buy you a jar – what’s not to like – hazelnuts and chocolate. Alison eats it by the spoonful.

• NutellaLuvah April 19, 2013 at 6:24 am #

never… heard.. of… nutella…
      o_o

2. sandy corman December 12, 2012 at 4:39 pm #

cannot remember having it anywhere.Not at the hotel buffets with Tauck or when we were on our own.But I will be game to try it.

3. Rose December 12, 2012 at 9:37 pm #

Oh my goodness this poem is so great. I feel the same way! I was introduced to Nutella on my first trip to Europe and have been hooked ever since. I can’t eat it by the spoonful at this point. I love when I get to treat myself to a slice of hearty bread and a slather of Nutella. Ummm… good! Thanks for sharing Beth!

• Beth December 12, 2012 at 9:48 pm #

I hear you about the spoonfuls but when you’re 14, play soccer 6 days a week, and still have young metabolism, you can eat almost anything. I almost remember that, don’t you????

Someone just commented on Google + about slathering it on bread with slices of banana. How about wrapped by a hot crepe on the streets of Paris?

Good to hear from you Rose. The name of your blog makes me smile every time!

• Rose December 13, 2012 at 2:05 pm #

Aw thanks. Your blog (name and content) makes me smile too!

Paris is still on my to-do list but I’ll eat most anything wrapped in a crepe especially Nutella :)

4. Hannah December 13, 2012 at 9:30 am #

Your daughter’s poem is simply wonderful! Lots of Nutella love around here, where we usually just spread it thickly on toast (I like the bananas suggestion). A few months ago, though, I surprised my boys with these brownies: http://bethmichelle.com/nutella-cheesecake-brownies/ Oh wow is all I can say – Nutella at new heights!

• Beth December 13, 2012 at 7:20 pm #

Oh I am going to have to try these brownies and surprise the kids – yum! And I will pass along the compliment to the poet!

5. Hannah December 13, 2012 at 9:34 am #

I meant to comment on Nutella’s ingredients, too – thank you for sharing this info, and I’ll have to read labels more carefully when shopping for it and look for the Italian Nutella. What an amazing tour of the North End! I’m envious. My folks used to live walking distance from the neighborhood and just moved to LA…made me sad, but at least it’s easier to visit now.

• Beth December 13, 2012 at 7:22 pm #

Wow – really? What an amazing neighborhood but I would say that LA weather will be more tame to manage :-). I want to write a post about the tour but just haven’t had time – I was hobbling around on my broken foot and snapping photos with my iphone but I enjoyed every gimpy moment of it! And the tour guide was excellent – I hope to stay in touch with her.

6. Cindy December 13, 2012 at 6:05 pm #

Terrific poem!
    Please hunt down the european version and let us know where you find it.

Cindy

• Beth December 13, 2012 at 7:23 pm #

I think if I can find a small grocery that imports – we’ll be in business. Will keep my eyes peeled and let you know. It’s also available online for sure.

7. Krystal Hurst December 15, 2012 at 1:06 pm #

I had no idea that there was a difference! I wonder if whole foods or Central Market sells the original Italian versions? Of course, it’s probably twice the price.

Awesome poem by the way! I too am a huge Nutella fan, and I enjoy eating it on toast with honey. I hadn’t had it on a waffle until the Nutella truck came to Dallas recently, and that was pretty delicious also!

*Coming over from SITS

• Beth December 16, 2012 at 8:38 pm #

Hi Krystal – thx for stopping over! Nutella on a fresh waffle? – oh that sounds lovely! Well I know you can find the Italian version online and likely in smaller import stores. I will have to check the Whole Foods shelf at next visit – I bet they would stock it, if they don’t already.

8. vanessa December 15, 2012 at 2:31 pm #

I could eat Nutella everyday. oh wait, i do!!! And for the Holidays I will be making Nutella fudge with sea salt. It is soooo yummy!

• Beth December 16, 2012 at 8:39 pm #

Nutella fudge w sea salt? Umm – let me think about it – Yes!!!!! Also see Hannah’s comment above for a nutella cheesecake brownie. But oh that sea salt sounds divine! I’m a big fan of sweet and salty especially in the context of chocolate!

9. Melissa December 16, 2012 at 9:55 am #

I LOVE Nutella! My sisters girlfriend makes crepes and nutella and its deslish, total bliss. Thanks for stopping!

• Beth December 16, 2012 at 8:41 pm #

Likewise! Drooling for those Nutella crepes with maybe just a smidge of whipped cream on top and a couple slices of banana or strawberries – YUM!

10. Tanya December 16, 2012 at 5:11 pm #

I was avoiding nutella because I figured I would get addicted to it, and I don’t need to crave any more sweets. But we got some because my oldest needs to gain weight and does not like peanut butter. It is heaven on a spoon. I only allow myself to lick the spoon after I’ve slathered nutella on bagels, crackers or cinnamon bread for him. We both love it! Your daughters poem is wonderful, I didn’t know the difference between the Italian version and Canadian. Guess I should check closer but for now, he needs the extra calories.

• Beth December 16, 2012 at 8:43 pm #

I hope you can find the Italian version – he can get plenty of calories from that but with a bit less sugar – a nice bonus. and what a heavenly way to enjoy bagels, crackers, and cinnamon bread. Wonderful!

1. Women You Should Know World Nutella Day... Nutella Lovers Unite! - Women You Should Know - February 5, 2013

[…] appeared on omgyummy)   Categories: […]

2. Hobbling on the Cobble: A Food Tour of Boston’s North End - OMG! Yummy - April 25, 2013

[…] including chestnut flour, Nutella imported from Italy (there is a difference and I wrote it about here), and over 50 different extracts for baking! While inside, Kris taught us about the two different […]