Tasting Jerusalem: Food Adventures in 2013

One of my favorite tweeters and food enthusiasts, Rebecca Subbiah of the blog Chow and Chatter, recently posted a quote by Wayne Gretzky – the hockey player – that really resonated with me:

“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.”

This quote has literal meaning for my daughter who is playing on her high school freshman soccer team, And well, @dormantchef had another interpretation all together:

jameson shot

Which I can roll with as well.

But the quote struck me more philosophically, as I head into some new and exciting food adventures for 2013. Who knows whether I’ll score the winning goal, but I’ll be happy that I took the chance and experience many adventures along the way. So I hope you’ll join in the fun in 2013. Here’s some of the details:

Tasting Jerusalem

Tasting JerusalemLast year, an exciting new cookbook was published from Yotam Ottolenghi and Sami Tamimi called Jerusalem, published by Ten Speed Press. It caught my eye visually and for the fascinating content within – an exploration of the food of Jerusalem highlighting the many cultures that live there and the myriad influences from cuisines near and far. Coincidentally, my long-time friend Sarene Wallace (@fringefood), an accomplished communications professional and food writer was equally engrossed by the book and cuisine. In the spirit of Wayne Gretzky’s quote, we harnessed that enthusiasm to start a virtual cooking group called Tasting Jerusalem (#TastingJrslm on Twitter). The group will “cook together”, using the book as a springboard to explore Middle Eastern cuisine through the ingredients and flavor-packed recipes highlighted within. We start cooking January 15 – join the group by liking our Facebook page, subscribing to OMG! Yummy, and following the hashtag on Twitter (#TastingJrslm).

Cooking Class

Shortly after the launch of this group, I will be teaching my first cooking class! And what’s even more exciting is that Cheryl Sternman Rule, the award-winning blogger (5secondrule.typepad.com), writer, and cookbook author (RIPE: A fresh colorful approach to fruits and vegetables) agreed to teach it with me. The class will take place at Congregation Shir Hadash in Los Gatos as part of their celebration of a Jewish holiday called Tu BiSh’vat – the celebration of the New Year for the Trees.

Tasting Jerusalem

The class will explore what the Seven (food) Species of Tu BiSh’vat are – wheat, barley, grapes, figs, pomegranates, olives, and dates. Tu BiSh’vat is also a chance to explore the ways we can preserve our environment and land, so we’ll also look at what fruits and vegetables are ripe and available locally during this season. Then we’ll incorporate many of the seven species and seasonal fresh fruit and vegetables into two dishes that the class will prepare and then share at the morning brunch. We will likely use one recipe from Cheryl’s cookbook and one from Jerusalem.

The Daily Meal

Tasting Jerusalem

Near the end of 2012, I became a member of the Culinary Content Network of the The Daily Meal, a food and drink site filled with food stories, recipes, interviews and more. If you scroll to the bottom of my blog page, you’ll see a link to their content. I’ve already met many interesting food enthusiasts and was included in a special feature prepared in conjunction with Kikkoman all about family heritage recipes called The Tradition Exchange. Spend a few minutes and read through all the different family food traditions from stuffed cabbage to gnocchi to Mom’s Berry pie.

What new and exciting opportunities will you take a chance and dive into in 2013?

, , , , ,

21 Responses to Tasting Jerusalem: Food Adventures in 2013

1. Lizthechef January 4, 2013 at 2:29 pm #

Good luck teaching – a big new arena for you and your talent.

2. Beth January 4, 2013 at 2:30 pm #

Thanks Liz and I hope you’ll join in on exploring some of the exciting flavors and recipes in Jerusalem. You have such a creative way with ingredients yourself!

3. Sarene January 4, 2013 at 2:54 pm #

So excited about all your new adventures this year! Looking forward to our new #TastingJrslm virtual cooking group as a way to explore a new cuisine and connect with fellow cooking enthusiasts all over the world.

• Beth January 4, 2013 at 4:25 pm #

It goes without saying – me too!

4. Fremont Indian January 4, 2013 at 2:55 pm #

Reading this article tells me I need meorav yerushalmi, the real Jerusalemite mix dish we all enjoy.

5. sandy corman January 4, 2013 at 3:08 pm #

What is the date you will be teaching class at Shir Hadash and I think what you are doing is a great idea.Dad and I enjoyed eating mid-eastern food when we were in Israel and Jordan. The only thing we got a little tired of was hummas which was served just about everywhere.

• Beth January 4, 2013 at 4:35 pm #

January 26 at 9AM! And I thought you would enjoy seeing that Jameson glass :-)

6. sandy corman January 4, 2013 at 3:12 pm #

P.S. That shot of Jameson looks pretty good too. Great place to visit when you are in Dublin Ireland. I managed tom get on a tasting panel that day and I guessed right. Great stuff.

7. rebecca January 4, 2013 at 3:13 pm #

wish you all the success in the world my friend love it hugs

• Beth January 4, 2013 at 4:37 pm #

Thanks Rebecca and thx for the inspiration!

8. Carol Sacks January 4, 2013 at 4:34 pm #

May 2013 be everything you expect it to be and more — go Beth!

• Beth January 4, 2013 at 4:36 pm #

And you too Carol – I hope our adventures cross paths frequently!

9. yumivore January 5, 2013 at 12:25 am #

Lots of yum awaits you in the New Year! Wonderful things to look forward to, and keep us posted!

10. Mardi (eat. live. travel. write) January 5, 2013 at 2:59 am #

Go Beth! Such exciting things on the horizon for you – and well deserved! I just got . your email about #TastingJrslm Not quite sure how it works but once I am rid of my jet lag, I will work it out!!

11. Hannah January 5, 2013 at 4:39 pm #

Wishing you a delicious 2013, Beth! It looks like you are well on your way. I am excited to cook virtually with you and Sarene from Jerusalem and wish I could join your cooking class – sounds like a lot of fun! Thanks for sharing the terrific quote, too. :)

• Beth January 10, 2013 at 7:53 pm #

I think it will be a yummy year for all of us! I wish you could be here for the class too – I’m just so glad to have Cheryl with me – we met today to brainstorm the menu – planning on a wheat berry-based salad, a spinach salad from Jerusalem, and a barley soup. Trying to use the seven species of Tu bishVat.

• Hannah January 10, 2013 at 8:29 pm #

Sounds like a terrific menu for your class! I love all the grains and fruits for this holiday. Please share what you cook up!

12. Cheryl January 8, 2013 at 10:01 pm #

So excited and proud that you and Sarene are doing this, Beth. I’m excited to watch your project unfold.

As they say on Passover, next year in Jerusalem!

• Beth January 10, 2013 at 7:57 pm #

or maybe even this year! We are glad to have your good wishes and support Cheryl. Thx so much!

1. Spiced Lentils and Rice with Fried Onions (Mejadra) « Emmy Cooks - January 9, 2013

[...] from the same source.  Apparently I’m not the only one who’s captivated by Jerusalem; Beth of OMG! Yummy has started up a virtual cookbook club on Facebook and Twitter to cook through “and [...]

2. Virtual Cooking: An Article in the Ventura County Star! - OMG! Yummy - January 9, 2013

[...] you read my first 2013 post, then you know that I am starting a virtual cooking community, Tasting Jerusalem, with my [...]