Wordless Wednesday: Braised Eggs w Lamb from “Jerusalem: A Cookbook”

Now I know why they chose this dish to be the cover of Jerusalem: A Cookbook . As @techsavvyteen said, “Each element was delicious, but together they were transcendent.” Have you bought the cookbook yet? Grab a copy and join our virtual cooking community Tasting Jerusalem. You’ll quickly be creating dishes just like this one! That’s all for today – this was supposed to be Wordless Wednesday after all…

Jerusalem: A CookbookJerusalem: A Cookbook

, , , , ,

14 Responses to Wordless Wednesday: Braised Eggs w Lamb from “Jerusalem: A Cookbook”

1. Carol Sacks March 7, 2013 at 10:32 am #

It’s such a show-stopper — beautiful, flavorful and exotic!

• Beth Lee March 11, 2013 at 10:03 am #

Yes! Loved it – could eat it at least once a week!

2. phil March 8, 2013 at 10:32 am #

I agree with Carol. What a show-stopper! I think I’ll have to get that cookbook! Your photos always make me HUNGRY!

• Beth Lee March 11, 2013 at 10:03 am #

I would imagine you would seem a little bit of Eastern European influence in some of the dishes Phil!

3. sandy corman March 8, 2013 at 5:06 pm #

Your photo looks better then the one on the cookbook. Very tempting. Just wished I liked eggs
    more then I do.

• Beth Lee March 11, 2013 at 10:05 am #

It was a quick snap with the iPhone but it came out well – thx for the complement!

4. sippitysup March 10, 2013 at 6:19 pm #

Love that book and it sure looks like you do too. Great job. GREG

• Beth Lee March 11, 2013 at 10:08 am #

Thanks Greg! It’s fun to explore new flavors and techniques – leading a cooking group about the book is forcing me to step outside of my usual “no time to cook” repertoire. And it’s fun!

5. @yumivore March 11, 2013 at 6:18 pm #

you’ll have to show me how those eggs came out so perfect! #braising101

• Beth Lee March 12, 2013 at 12:36 pm #

Still getting the hang of braising with eggs but I like it! It is really a quick leap from cooked white to overcooked yellow! Definitely have to keep a close eye.

6. Drew March 14, 2013 at 3:48 pm #

I’m about to make this dish and I was just sitting on my patio having a glass of wine beforehand and Google brought me to you. You’ve given me hope that mine is going to turn out well. :)

I work in a bookstore and, after staring at that cover for ages, I bought the book and decided that I HAD to make that dish.

• Beth Lee March 14, 2013 at 4:11 pm #

What a great comment – hope you are confident and inspired Drew. Please circle back and let me know how it comes out! I’ll be waiting to hear… And boy am I hungry now!

7. Drew March 14, 2013 at 4:14 pm #

Well, it’s postponed till tomorrow now. I was informed that we have chicken burgers that we MUST grill tonight.

So, I’ll ask a quick question. Did you make preserved lemon peel? Somehow I missed that it was ‘preserved’ until I was grocery shopping. Should I make the effort tonight? Or can I just wing it and add regular ole lemon peel?

• Beth Lee March 14, 2013 at 5:35 pm #

Sorry for the delayed response – I was in transit and even a smartphone is not helpful when you are driving! Anyhow – there is a recipe in the cookbook for preserved lemons but they take a long time to come to fruition. I cheated and bought them at Williams and Sonoma because that’s just how I roll these days. You can also make the pickled lemons which come together over night – see a post by Blue Kale Road http://www.bluekaleroad.com/2013/01/braised-eggs-with-lamb-tahini-and-sumac.html where she talks all about the preserved lemons vs the pickled lemons and has her own STUNNING photos of her version of the dish. Ok – enjoy those chicken burgers and I’ll be waiting to hear about the braised eggs tomorrow.