Hibiscus Margarita: Toasting a Month of Celebrations

June has been all about changes and celebrations: the end of high school for @gregorytlee, the end of my 40s, the long-awaited end of a wild year of driving and discovering nearly ever wifi-enabled coffee shop in a 30 mile radius of my house, and perhaps most importantly — the beginning of the lazy days of summer.

Hibiscus Margarita

Hibiscus MargaritaTo celebrate this month of transitions and new beginnings, my friends threw a backyard barbecue, kicking off the festivities with this unique and satisfying hibiscus margarita made with dried hibiscus flowers. The color is just entrancing and I, of course, gave our hosts the third degree about what was in it and how it was prepared.

Hibiscus MargaritaHibiscus margaritaHibiscus MargaritaThe vibrant hue is from dried hibiscus flowers (check your local Mexican market to find them), which are then cooked with water and sugar to create the base juice for this beautiful berry-like drink.

As an added bonus, hibiscus (jamaica in Spanish – the J is silent) has natural curative powers including supporting upper respiratory health and maintaining healthy blood pressure levels. A quick Google search will yield many articles about these healing properties – feel free to draw your own conclusions.

What struck me about the hibiscus was it’s deep, dark, rich berry-like color and the tangy sweet and sour element it added to the drink. The fact that the hibiscus might actually be good for me was just a happy bonus.

The recipe for the drink is from Cooking Light . Our hosts did a fabulous job preparing and serving it.

Hibiscus Margarita

My month of transitions and celebrations may keep me away from my weekly blog posts for a bit but please follow along in my other social media channels. I will do my best to share whatever yummy and unique food and drinks I discover along the way. And I always love to hear what you are cooking up in the kitchen or discover at your friend’s table or favorite restaurant.

OMG! Yummy Facebook page

OMG! Yummy Twitter

OMG! Yummy Instagram

OMG! Yummy Pinterest

Here’s to many lazy luscious days of summer for all of us. See you in a few weeks!

Photos by Gregory Lee on his Canon T5i except for the picture of his graduation cake.

, , , , , ,

18 Responses to Hibiscus Margarita: Toasting a Month of Celebrations

1. @yumivore June 13, 2013 at 1:47 pm #

So much to celebrate, congratulations to @gregorytlee — and of course as the party continues wishing you more birthday wishes! And it looks like a fabulous margarita to transition us all into the summer. Cheers Beth!

• Beth Lee June 13, 2013 at 8:19 pm #

Thanks Orly – I think I might have to make a pitcher the next time I make it to CookUp!

2. Lizthechef June 13, 2013 at 2:13 pm #

What a gorgeous cocktail!

• Beth Lee June 13, 2013 at 8:19 pm #

Thanks Liz – it really is – I was so taken by it – flavor and visual.

3. Hannah June 13, 2013 at 4:28 pm #

Cheers to you and your family, Beth! It is indeed a festive time of celebrating. What a wonderful cocktail to kick off summer, too. I can’t wait to try it! Love the pretty pic of you looking so happy and relaxed. I’m clinking my glass to you and Gregory!

• Beth Lee June 13, 2013 at 8:21 pm #

And right back at you – you must be so proud of Sam. So many emotions at this stage. Truly looking forward to our chance to toast each other in person! Soon I hope.

4. Carol Sacks June 13, 2013 at 4:48 pm #

Mazel tov on so many important milestones!

• Beth Lee June 13, 2013 at 8:22 pm #

You too! You must be so proud of your Bug!

5. Deb June 14, 2013 at 7:52 am #

Dried jamaica is sold in bulk at my favorite fruit stand, yet I have never tried it! I adore the bold color and spicy taste of of your celebratory margarita! Toasting you to a fantastic summer of change!

• Beth Lee June 14, 2013 at 4:18 pm #

thanks Deb – I bet you would love it – a very interesting ingredient to experiment with!

6. Modern Gypsy July 1, 2013 at 7:20 am #

I love your blog!! So glad I found you through SITSSummer 🙂

• Beth Lee July 2, 2013 at 3:35 pm #

I am so glad you found me too :-). Heading over to see what Modern Gypsy is all about! Come back and share some yummy moments with me ok?

7. Stephanie Daigneault July 1, 2013 at 9:26 am #

This looks really cool!

8. Carrie @ poet in the pantry July 1, 2013 at 4:08 pm #

Cheers to so many life transitions at once–looks like you’re doing it with grace and style! What a fabulous drink, too. I’ve also seen hibiscus flowers in a jar at Fresh Market, if that helps anyone else with sourcing them…

(Visiting from the SITS FB page, BTW…)

• Beth Lee July 2, 2013 at 3:39 pm #

Thanks for a great tip Carrie. So nice to meet you. #SITSSummer has been so fun. Great to meet so many new blogs and faces.

9. laura July 2, 2013 at 10:19 am #

you had me at margarita…. YUM!!
    new from SITS! Nice to ‘meet’ you.

• Beth Lee July 2, 2013 at 3:28 pm #

Nice to meet you too Laura!Loving this SITSSummer – have already met so many great people. If you like margaritas, definitely give this a try. Really refreshing and fun to drink.

1. Tasting Jerusalem: Celebrating Summer with Salad - OMG! Yummy - July 16, 2013

[…] To write a successful food blog, you have to cook, write, photograph, socialize, and eat. Mostly, this summer, I’ve been eating. Maybe you’ve noticed my less frequent blog posts. Don’t assume it’s for lack of content. Oh no. I’ve been gathering lots and lots of content. While you were all dutifully preserving your lemons from scratch for our Tasting Jerusalem June topic, I bought mine at Williams-Sonoma, too busy with high school graduation and my milestone birthday to get a jar started in time. (But I did learn all about hibiscus margaritas!) […]