It’s a New Day – College Bound

College Bound

Sunrise at Masada – Photo by Gregory Lee

I’ll never look back on the Summer of 2013 and wish I had done more. We packed in so many major life events and adventures: high school graduation, trip to Spain and Italy, 50th birthday bash, my “baby” boy heading to New York City and Israel on his own, and now we are packing up the car and driving him to college.

College Bound

Sunrise at Masada – photo by Gregory Lee

It’s the start of a brand new chapter for our family unit and for our college bound son. I’m sure I’ll shed a few tears but mostly I am excited for the opportunities that lay before him and the new ways we’ll be sharing the time we have together. Meeting up in the city to explore new restaurants, bringing his new friends along to join us, seeing his old friends when they come home to visit, and looking forward to those texted pictures of the food he creates in his little dorm room kitchen (which yes, I have outfitted with two types of olive oil from Italy, at his request).

College BoundIf my posts have been a little sparse this summer, it’s not for lack of eating or of late, cooking. I’ve been creating wonderful meals this week with the Not Dormant Chef, aka my cousin from Florida, culminating in the requested pre-college dinner: Osso Buco. When all the excitement is finally over and I become one with my computer again, I will share some yummy recipes, photos, and stories, nourishing your desire to get back in the kitchen this fall to create great food and memories with family and friends.

What food, travel, or family adventures will you always remember from the summer of 2013?

, , , , , ,

10 Responses to It’s a New Day – College Bound

1. Sarene (fringefood) August 22, 2013 at 1:50 pm #

Congrats to Tech Savvy Teen in his new adventure! He’ll do great! Maybe he can make films of all the great hidden foodie spots that we need to visit:)

• Beth Lee August 25, 2013 at 10:59 pm #

Hmmm – that, my fringe food friend, is a good idea!

2. Renee August 22, 2013 at 5:23 pm #

I have to ditto Sarene’s comments! Will look forward to seeing his work.

• Beth Lee August 25, 2013 at 11:01 pm #

Based on tonight’s dorm kitchen dinner that included a kale salad with blueberries, Gregory’s college food experience is going to be ever so different than ours was! OMG!

3. Deb August 23, 2013 at 9:18 am #

What a special time for your family! Sending a child off to college marks the transition to adulthood with a sharp thump of the emotions. Looking forward to following along with new recipes and adventures!

• Beth Lee August 25, 2013 at 11:05 pm #

It is definitely fraught w emotions Deb but I think we will all slowly find a new rhythm. Tonight he ate in the room (they have mini kitchens) and along with the room across the hall they had “salad with kale and this huckleberry white balsamic vinegar dressing, eggs with seaweed, chips and homemade guacamole and salsa, fresh bread, and then cake.” This was preceded by appetizer of tomato soup and brie and crackers. Not too bad!!!

4. Hannah August 23, 2013 at 4:47 pm #

You have indeed had a glorious summer, Beth! I’m so happy you could celebrate and enjoy so many special moments. And now a new adventure awaits with your son leaving for college. I have a lump in my throat, knowing I’m only a month behind you. It’s an exciting chapter ahead and I’m glad we’ll be able to share it. Love that you set him up with two different olive oils in his dorm kitchen, too! And the photos from Masada are gorgeous. I’m thinking of you. xo

• Beth Lee August 25, 2013 at 11:07 pm #

Thinking of you as well. It’s not easy – I won’t lie to you but if you think of it as forging something new instead of just giving up what you have, it eases the transition. So far, he’s doing well – see my reply to Deb above for tonight’s menu in his room and the one across the hall! This week, classes start. The real challenges begin…

5. Phil Done August 25, 2013 at 9:47 am #

WOW! Off to college! I remember when WE went off to college. Goes by too fast! Looking forward to more stories and recipes from you this year!

• Beth Lee August 25, 2013 at 11:08 pm #

Have a couple of good ones already – now to settle into a new routine and start writing again…I forwarded him the contact info you sent me. Thanks again. Hope all is well in Budapest!!