Let Us Eat Cake: Chocolate Bundt Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

A Chocolate Lover's Chocolate Bundt Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

Many Milestones Ahead

2016 is a year of milestones for our family. Three big birthdays – 18, 21, and X0. My blog turns 6. My daughter’s high school graduation, freshman year of college, and an empty nest. Woo. Kind of feel exhausted just writing it all down. And did I mention an extended family wedding across the country at the same time that my daughter will be making her college decision?

How about if we just stick with February events for now –my daughter’s 18th birthday, my blog’s 6th anniversary, and Valentine’s Day. Last year we made chocolate truffles remember? This year, let’s make a great big chocolate bundt cake with tangy, rich, and decadent cream cheese frosting. Sound ok?

A Chocolate Lover’s Chocolate Bundt Cake

This recipe is from the blog Merry Gourmet. She says it is as close to red velvet cake as you can get without using the food coloring. For me, it’s the ultimate chocolate cake – fudgy but not dense with an extra depth of flavor from both chocolate and coffee. And the cream cheese frosting is the perfect contrasting topper. The only changes I made to her recipe were to reduce the sugar by ¼ cup and to make half the frosting. And I turned it into a bundt cake, instead of a layer cake. I then pathetically attempted to decorate it like a Nothing Bundt Cake cake. It’s the thought that counts.

A Chocolate Lover's Chocolate Bundt Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

Let us eat cake.

Chocolate Bundt Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Recipe type: Dessert
For me, this is the quintessential chocolate cake with a fudgy rich chocolaty flavor, moist not dense, and a tangy cream cheese frosting to contrast with the sweet chocolate cake.
  • 1-3/4 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 cup black coffee
  • 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
  • ¾ stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 8-ounce confectioners sugar, sifted
  1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F or 325 degrees convection with the rack in center position. Butter or spray one bundt pan.
  2. In a large bowl, or in the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together the sugar, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cocoa. Add eggs, vanilla, vegetable oil, buttermilk, and coffee. Beat by hand or on medium speed for 2 minutes; batter will be thin. Pour into the prepared bundt pan.
  3. Bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 20 minutes, then invert cake onto a wire rack and cool completely before frosting.
  1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in vanilla extract. Gradually add the sifted confectioners sugar, beating until frosting is smooth and creamy, about 5 minutes.
  1. I actually don't feel qualified to tell you how to do this - it is so likely that you will be better at this than I am. If you have frosting bags and tips and want to make it look like my failed attempt at a Nothing Bundt Cake, have at it :-). Otherwise, use an offset spatula to spread the frosting. A bundt cake might lend itself to more of a drizzly icing but we love the cream cheese frosting so I made it work!
NOTE: Merry Jennifer says you can make this one day ahead. Cover with cake dome and refrigerate overnight. Let cake stand at room temperature for 2 hours before serving.

A Chocolate Lover's Chocolate Bundt Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

, , , ,

12 Responses to Let Us Eat Cake: Chocolate Bundt Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

1. Sarene (FringeFood) February 10, 2016 at 7:20 am #

I’m drooling here! Congrats on the 6th anniversary of your blog and happy adulthood to your baby.

• Beth Lee March 9, 2016 at 6:23 am #

A belated thank you Sarene for this and all of your support over the 6 years!

2. Deb|EastofEdenCooking February 10, 2016 at 7:44 am #

Love that chocolate and cream cheese frosting! I’m all in, give any excuse and I’ll bake something. What a scrumptious V Day treat! Stay calm and enjoy every minute, Life just keeps on moving.

• Beth Lee March 9, 2016 at 6:25 am #

It does,doesn’t it. Never a dull moment and then I wonder — what will I do next year when I might actually have dull moments? I am going to have to relearn to relax!

3. Hannah February 12, 2016 at 4:11 pm #

Congratulations on 6 years of blogging! I appreciate all you share here very much. Wow, many milestones indeed.Just keep breathing and eat cake. Lots of cake. Happy weekend to you and enjoy celebrating your daughter!

• Beth Lee March 9, 2016 at 6:26 am #

Cake does help, doesn’t it? I appreciate the people I’ve met thru blogging most of all (or at least have virtually met). Thanks for all of your support Hannah!

4. Tamara Coleman March 8, 2016 at 8:47 pm #

Oh how I love bundt cakes! I go to nothing bundt cakes a little to often 🙂 Looks fantastic!

• Beth Lee March 9, 2016 at 6:29 am #

So do we! My frosting effort might not have been as perfect as theirs but I have to admit, the cake tastes fantastic and stays moist for days (if it lasts that long!). Thanks for stopping by Tamara!

5. Little Cooking Tips March 24, 2016 at 1:04 am #

First of all, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Both to your blog, as well as you daughter for turning 18! And the XO meant that you’re birthday was also around the corner? 🙂 Our best wishes to all of you, may the years ahead be healthy, joyful, creative and HAPPY!
      As for the bundt now; we never used buttermilk (since it isn’t sold or used here) in a cake before, we’ll make some with lemon or vinegar at home and give it a try, it sounds very interesting! It must have a similar effect to adding freshly squeezed orange juice in a cake (as soda reacts to the acid), right?
      Thanx for the yummy idea Beth!

• Beth Lee March 28, 2016 at 7:12 am #

The X refers to my husband’s May birthday but I am not allowed to say the age :-). Mine is shortly thereafter. Thanks for all the good wishes. It is a big year for us. Right now, we are helping our daughter choose a college. A rather monumental step for one so young. Love buttermilk in cakes and especially pancakes. Making it with a little lemon or vinegar works quite nicely. And I would guess you are right that the acid in OJ may have a similar effect to the buttermilk. First time I’ve thought about that but it makes sense for my orange juice hamantaschen now that I think about it!!!

6. PHYLLIS WINE September 11, 2016 at 7:33 pm #

• Beth Lee September 12, 2016 at 2:34 pm #

Thanks Phyllis! How are you doing? Looking forward to the high holidays? Will you be cooking?