This is a versatile dish you can eat for any meal of the day. If serving a crowd with mixed tolerance for spicy, up the flavorful non-spicy ingredients and reduce the hot peppers. Short on time? Prepare the tomato mixture when you can, refrigerate, and then just reheat and add the eggs.
- one small onion or 1/2 of a large one - white or brown red onion or shallots could work as well
- 1/2 of a large red bell pepper finely diced
- 1/2 of a spicy red pepper finely diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet or smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes optional
- 2 tablespoons homemade or store-bought harissa optional
- 14 oz can of whole tomatoes
- 14 oz can of fire-roasted diced tomatoes mine were flavored w green chilies
- 6 eggs
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- sumac or za'atar for sprinking optional
- fresh parsley or cilantro for sprinkling optional
Saute the onions and red peppers in the olive oil in a large frying pan on medium heat until the onions are transluscent and softened and just starting to show some color.
Add the spices and harissa and combine with the pepper/onion mixture.
Pour in the tomatoes, breaking up the whole tomatoes a bit with your hands.
Stir and let it cook on low heat partially covered for about 20 minutes, tasting it as it cooks to adjust for seasoning. When the tomatoes have broken down a bit and the flavors are blended, you're ready for the eggs.
Make 6 wells or indentations to pour the eggs in. I cracked my egg in a separate bowl and poured it in to ensure no shells. Put the heat on low to medium low, cover the pan and let the eggs set - this should take about 8 - 10 minutes. When the yolk is still soft but the white is just set, you're ready to serve. At this point, you can sprinkle with a bit of sumac or za'atar if you have some and also some fresh chopped cilantro or parsley.
Serve with soft bread for dipping. I also served some crisp veggies and labneh (yogurt cheese) topped with olive oil which my daughter used as a dip for the veggies.
Calories: 142kcalCarbohydrates: 8gProtein: 6gFat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 163mgSodium: 329mgPotassium: 236mgFiber: 1gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 1090IUVitamin C: 26.2mgCalcium: 65mgIron: 2.1mg