• If you don’t have fresh dill, dry will work. I tried it.
• If you don’t have dried mint, omit it or try a touch of fresh.
• I haven’t tried it without the sugar, but I bet you could omit it and the filling would be fine.
• If you don’t have Baharat spice mix, buy some or make some, it’s so good. BUT, you can use as many of these as you have around for the stuffing to approximate the flavor: nutmeg, black pepper, coriander seed, cumin seed, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, paprika, and chili. And you can flavor the meat to your liking – the basic recipe will still work.
• Can’t find Romano peppers? Substitute Anaheims or any elongated sweet, mild pepper or mix the two as I did the first time I made this recipe. Makes for a beautiful presentation.