Chocolate Bundt Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting is a chocolate cake lover’s dream. Perfect for birthdays, Valentine’s Day or anytime cake is the perfect finish to a meal or surprise treat for a loved one.
Another great dessert is my chocolate babka recipe.
For ease of browsing, here are all of my baking and dessert recipes.
(originally published Feb 2016, updated Feb 2020)
Many Milestones Ahead
2016 is a year of milestones for our family. Three big birthdays – 18, 21, and X0. My blog turns 6. My daughter’s high school graduation, freshman year of college, and an empty nest. Woo. Kind of feel exhausted just writing it all down. And did I mention an extended family wedding across the country at the same time that my daughter will be making her college decision?
How about if we just stick with February events for now –my daughter’s 18th birthday, my blog’s 6th anniversary, and Valentine’s Day. Last year we made chocolate truffles remember? This year, let’s make a great big chocolate bundt cake with tangy, rich, and decadent cream cheese frosting. Sound ok?
A Chocolate Lover’s Chocolate Bundt Cake
This recipe is from the blog Merry Gourmet. She says it is as close to red velvet cake as you can get without using the food coloring. For me, it’s the ultimate chocolate cake – fudgy but not dense with an extra depth of flavor from both chocolate and coffee. And the cream cheese frosting is the perfect contrasting topper. The only changes I made to her recipe were to reduce the sugar by ¼ cup and to make half the frosting. And I turned it into a bundt cake, instead of a layer cake. I then pathetically attempted to decorate it like a Nothing Bundt Cake cake. It’s the thought that counts.
Buy my cookbook now!
P.S. If you try this recipe, please leave a star rating and/or a review in the comment section below. I so appreciate your feedback! AND find more inspiration on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram. Signup for my email list, too!
Let us eat cake.
Chocolate Bundt Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1-3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1-3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup black coffee
- 8 ounce cream cheese softened
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 ounces confectioners sugar sifted
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F or 325 degrees convection with the rack in center position. Butter or spray one bundt pan.
- In a large bowl, or in the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together the sugar, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cocoa. Add eggs, vanilla, vegetable oil, buttermilk, and coffee. Beat by hand or on medium speed for 2 minutes; batter will be thin. Pour into the prepared bundt pan.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 20 minutes, then invert cake onto a wire rack and cool completely before frosting.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in vanilla extract. Gradually add the sifted confectioners sugar, beating until frosting is smooth and creamy, about 5 minutes.
- I actually don’t feel qualified to tell you how to do this – it is so likely that you will be better at this than I am. If you have frosting bags and tips and want to make it look like my failed attempt at a Nothing Bundt Cake, have at it :-). Otherwise, use an offset spatula to spread the frosting. A bundt cake might lend itself to more of a drizzly icing but we love the cream cheese frosting so I made it work!