Pomegranate molasses dressing is simple and sophisticated, with the tart and tangy pomegranate punch and subtle shallots. Not familiar with pomegranate molasses? Learn all about it on my pomegranate molasses page.
(first published Oct 2013, updated August 2019)
Tantalize your Salads with this Tangy Dressing
What is Pomegranate Molasses Salad Dressing
A simple vinaigrette, this dressing combines the familiar balsamic vinegar with the tangy syrupy pomegranate molasses. While balsamic vinegar is almost as prevalent in kitchen pantries as salt and pepper – pomegranate molasses is less so. But once you taste pomegranate syrup, sometimes described as the Middle Eastern equivalent of balsamic, you’ll find yourself reaching for it frequently as well.
This is the perfect recipe to begin your pomegranate love affair. You can easily modify the ingredients to your own tastes or menu – add fresh or dried herbs, change the vinegar, or use it exactly as is.
How to Make Pomegranate Molasses Vinaigrette
- Chop shallots
- Measure out vinegar and molasses and olive oil.
- Combine the shallots, vinegar, molasses
- Then whisk in the olive oil. If it separates before you serve it, just whisk it again.
- Consider doubling this recipe – it’s great to have on hand!
Substitutes for Pomegranate Molasses
Boiled down liquids – whether vinegars or juice or stock – intensify in flavor. Part of the appeal of this dressing is the tart and tangy intensity of the pomegranate molasses. However, if you don’t have pomegranate molasses or juice in the house, you can try reducing some balsamic vinegar until it’s thicker (and more intense) and use that.
Salads to Pair with Pomegranate Molasses Vinaigrette
I originally served this pomegranate molasses dressing on a fig and manchego green salad. But it would be ideal for so many salads throughout the year. Here are just a few ideas:
- Arugula and Fig Salad
- Herb and Tomato Salad
- Quinoa and Pomegranate Salad
- Salad with Avocado, Pomegranate and Almonds
- Fennel, Raspberry and Apricot Salad
Other Pomegranate Molasses Recipes on OMG! Yummy
- Lemony Flank Steak with Pomegranate Molasses
- Instant Pot Brisket with Pomegranate Molasses
- Minty Pomegranate Mule Cocktail
- Roasted Fruit with Pomegranate Molasses
- Roasted Delicata Squash with Pomegranate Molasses and Date Syrup
- Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate Two Ways
This post contains Amazon affiliate links – if you click on one and purchase something, I receive a very tiny percentage of the sale. Your price is never affected.
Supplies for Pomegranate Molasses Salad Dressing
Also check out my Amazon shop that includes some of my favorite food and food-related products. I am always updating it – please visit often. And let me know if you need specific product recommendations – I am happy to help!
Pomegranate Molasses Salad Dressing
- 2 teaspoons minced shallot
- 1/8 cup of balsamic vinegar
- 3 ¼ teaspoons pomegranate molasses adjust up or down to your tangy taste buds
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon each to start
- In a small bowl combine the shallots, vinegar and pomegranate molasses, then whisk in the olive oil.
- Taste, then add salt and pepper or other herbs to your own liking.